Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie in Investing
Hello from "Sunny" Minnesota Big Grin
I guess in Minnesota if there is no snow on the ground during Christmas, it should be considered Sunny Tongue
Anyway, I am a complete Newbie in terms of Dividend investing.
I am a 43 year old (married and having 2 kids ages 13 & 8).
I have been visiting this site for about 2 months now and have found some real good insights on how to invest. I also love the way you guys treat everyone just like family (with good investment tips & strategies) and without the added bickering that a normal family would have Tongue

Well, I consider myself almost in the same boat as simple_is_rich.
We don't have any Credit Card debts, Student Loans, Car Payments or any kind of debt other than 50K on our house (which I hopefully plan to pay off in the next 3 years). We live very simple (drive a Honda & Nissan) and try to keep our expenses to a minimum.

My current investments include:
401K: which we try to max out every year (Have been doing this since I started working in this beautiful country in 1998).
529 Plan: Have been adding 600$/month for the last 10 years now & hoping it would be sufficient when my first kid starts college in about 4 -5 years from now with hopefully some more added by the time my 8 year old goes to college).
ESPP: Have been putting 15% towards it every month and it has been a fairly good investment till now

As part of my "Mid-Life Crisis" Idea , I had 2 wishes:
1) Buy a convertible (dream still pending)
2) Start investing on the side in a small portfolio with dividends that would add some extra income during our retirement... My main interest is in the Healthcare/Energy/Retail sector.

I burnt my hands by investing in RIG and LNCO (but no regrets)
As I write this, I have:
35 shares of HP @ 78.5 (tempted to buy more now to average out the initial cost, but am not gutsy enough to do so).
100 shares of SBUX @ 75.5
200 shares of SLW @ 16.98

On Hindsight I should've invested in TGT when it had come down in the 50s and XOM/CVX when they were down in Oct-Nov.

But I am very honored to be a part of this wonderful (forum) family where everyone wants to push each other to invest wisely.

Thank You everyone and God Bless !
Welcome to the family saimash!

We are looking for some snow here in South Dakota, my wife is depressed we won't have a white Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you and your's.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Good luck with your investment journey!