Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portfolio Tracking
Some other potential ideas include Qualcomm (QCOM), AT&T (T), General Electric (GE), and Emerson Electric (EMR).
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
I plan on initiating a position in STX next

[Image: Xaz6xjg.png]
Out of interest what price did you get MO at?

I must admit IBM is tempting.
Everything looks solid except for the fact I think it's a dinosaur that's going to struggle in years to come :/
Tech is moving fast (as always). IBM's cloud platform prospects seem a lot weaker than competitiors at the moment. They seem slow to act and too big to adapt?
(01-16-2015, 03:14 PM)Lewys120 Wrote: Out of interest what price did you get MO at?

Everything looks solid except for the fact I think it's a dinosaur that's going to struggle in years to come :/
Tech is moving fast (as always). IBM's cloud platform prospects seem a lot weaker than competitiors at the moment. They seem slow to act and too big to adapt?

I picked up MO at $35 a share when the dividend yield was north of 5.4%. With Altria's current yield below 4%, it is starting to get too expensive.
(01-16-2015, 03:38 PM)benjamen Wrote:
(01-16-2015, 03:14 PM)Lewys120 Wrote: Out of interest what price did you get MO at?

I picked up MO at $35 a share when the dividend yield was north of 5.4%. With Altria's current yield below 4%, it is starting to get too expensive.

Excellent buy!!!
It seems to be getting harder to find good companies that don't have overpriced stocks. This month I picked up shares of GE. I updated the first two posts of this thread to reflect that addition.
GE's large exposure to oil and gas is mostly providing this buying opportunity, and IMO it IS an excellent buying opportunity! I really like the movement of the company back to its core industrial competency areas. Leave the financial activity to the banks except perhaps as narrow areas where the financial re-enforces its support role to its industrial customers.
Alex
Picking up my first healthcare sector stock, I purchased JNJ today.

Total stock list: PG, MO, CVX, MSEX, T, BBl, GE, JNJ

Where my dividends originate, broken down by sector:
Consumer Staples 21.4%
Energy 7.2%
Telecommunication Services 19.8%
Utilities 14.4%
Materials 13.4%
Industrials 14.0%
Healthcare 9.8%

I am still missing Consumer Discretionary, Financials, and Info Tech.
(03-19-2015, 08:08 AM)benjamen Wrote: I am still missing Consumer Discretionary, Financials, and Info Tech.

Consider looking at Ameriprise (AMP), Blackrock (BLK), or T Rowe Price (TROW) in the financial sector. All great companies with excellent track records, and currently trading at decent valuations.

Long AMP.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
It has been a while since I updated this thread. I have been slammed by unexpected medical bills and repairs for my rental property, so there have been no new purchases. Hopefully, I can resume next month.

Energy: 8% of total dividends
Own: CVX
Watch List: XOM

Materials: 13% of total dividends
Own: BBL (soon to get SOUHV in the demerger)
Watch List: DOW

Industrials: 14% of total dividends
Own: GE
Watch List: EMR, CAT, MMM

Consumer Discretionary: 0% of total dividends
Own: None
Watch List: DIS, TGT, MCD

Consumer Staples: 21% of total dividends
Own: MO, PG
Watch List: PM, KO, PEP, GIS

Health Care: 10% of total dividends
Own: JNJ
Watch List: ABBV

Financials: 0% of total dividends
Watch List: WFC, TROW, AFL, JPM, TD, CINF

Info Tech: 0% of total dividends
Watch List: MSFT, IBM

Telecom: 20% of total dividends
Own: T
Watch List: VZ

Utilities: 14% of total dividends
Own: MSEX
Watch List: SO, ED

REIT: 0% of total dividends
Watch List: OHI, HCP, WPC
Great thread benjamen, as I'm now initiating my own journey, this was a great source of inspiration. Please continue updating your "journal".
(08-03-2015, 01:11 PM)Rasec Wrote: Great thread benjamen, as I'm now initiating my own journey, this was a great source of inspiration. Please continue updating your "journal".

I am working on a big batch of purchases next month. I hope to have a fun update then!