Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
101 Little Happy Moments
Very nice, looking forward to the day when my re-investments start buying more than a whole share!

So far in September I have received payments from AFL, ABC, CHD, CMI, PSX, VVC, WMT, WFC, RGR, IBM, CVX, LO, NSC, TGT, MSFT, MMM and WAG.

I ended up with a record for me $104.26 worth of dividends in June. With new investments in addition to announced dividend increases I should beat that number in September.
March/June/Sept/Dec is my favorite quarter for the happy little moments. About a fifth of my holdings get a full share each reinvestment. PM is nearly up to a share and a half after this last dividend raise. Looking forward to the day when all of my holdings bring in over a share each quarterly dividend.
You guys are making me jealous. I'm due for my first dividend reinvestments in by the end of the month, but most of my purchases went ex dividend just before I assembled the portfolio. Sometimes I hate deferred gratification!
Buying just after ex dividend and having to wait 6+ months to get that dividend is horrible. I've caught myself passing up on adding a stock if it just went ex dividend.
We're in another quiet stretch for dividends, but I was happy to see a little gift from MO hit my account yesterday. A dividend of about $270, automatically reinvested, netting me about 7.7 new shares and about $14.78 more in annual income. Shy
Got a couple pieces of "happy moments" good news after the close.

ABC raised the dividend by 11.9%.

WYNN announced a $3 special dividend and increased quarterly dividend by 25%.
Hello, new to the forum. looking forward to participating.

Is anyone using yield as their entry/exit signal or is everyone holding for extremely long term?

High historic yield= buy, low historic yield= profit taking.

TIA, good luck to all.
Hey NilesMike -- Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us.

I absolutely use high yield (relative to the stock's historical yield) as one of the signs that it is a good time to get into a dividend growth stock. It is only one of many things that I look at, of course, but if all the pieces are in place for the company, its earnings, and hence its dividends to prosper into the future, then buying at a moment that the yield is historically high can really boost your long-term returns. Really, it is a company specific way of saying that the income stream is on sale, and it is a good thing, so long as the sale is temporary and not caused by some underlying problem that will put your capital at risk.

As for selling, it is reasonable to argue that the converse is also true, but as we've been discussing over here, I think the sell decision is a lot more complicated. So far, I've been a buy and hold guy for the most part, but if I get into selling, I imagine that low yield (again relative the the stock's historical yield) would be one of the factors that I look at to help confirm that it would be a good moment to sell. I've been reading and thinking a lot about whether to consider doing more selling, but my thoughts are far from crystallized on the subject.
Thanks Kerim, this is an interesting site.

What I have been doing is combining a little more active trading and leverage to dividend stocks.

I firmly believe the price/dividend is a good indicator of value. That being the case, I buy DITM Leap calls to go long and DITM puts to go short.

Last week that was good for 21% return on money on each CVX and IBM.

Looking to learn more here, thanks again.
Thanks NilesMike.

I've been very keen to learn more about using options in conjunction with my DG strategy, and we put up an options section a while back. It hasn't seen too much use, but I'd love if you threw up a thread over there and gave a little more background about how you're use calls and puts. (How you choose the securities to focus on, how you choose which options to pull the trigger on, etc.) Especially if you're looking at 21 percent! Big Grin
(11-12-2013, 08:01 AM)Kerim Wrote: Thanks NilesMike.

I've been very keen to learn more about using options in conjunction with my DG strategy, and we put up an options section a while back. It hasn't seen too much use, but I'd love if you threw up a thread over there and gave a little more background about how you're use calls and puts. (How you choose the securities to focus on, how you choose which options to pull the trigger on, etc.) Especially if you're looking at 21 percent! Big Grin

Will do and 21% was pulling them off WAY early. When I iniate, I'm looking for a 4 month hold time and at least 100% return but these went 21%+ in a week so...
This month my DGS portfolio paid me $919.84.
Just another "happy moment" ;-)

Ronn