Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SA writers
I have been reading SA for some time now.
What an increase in writers.
I do not enjoy reading it as much, unless I see my favorite writers.
Way too much "noise".
Quite sad, when I used to enjoy reading about different stocks, now I have to sort through them to find certain authors.
Yup. A lot of templated junk. Major change happened in July when Yahoo stopped showing their headlines

Quote:A major change is afoot in the financial blogosphere. As of next Monday Yahoo! Finance will no longer be displaying staple Seeking Alpha headlines on its website. The move was initiated by Yahoo! Finance and comes amid news earlier in the week that Yahoo! Finance launched its own contributor network via Tumblr.

The news is a surprise to many as the two sides were seen as close. Some have even suggested that Yahoo! (NASDAQ: YHOO) was interested in acquiring Seeking Alpha.

While contributors are seeing the news as a major blow, Seeking Alpha is taking the development in stride and today announced a host of new opportunities for itself and contributors.

Seeking Alpha noted that it's been paying Yahoo significant amounts every month for traffic and the traffic they receive in return is "lower quality." The company will take the extra money and pay contributors an additional flat payment of $35 on top of the $10 per thousand pageviews they already pay.

I don't have any data to back it up but I'd guess the flat $35 doubled or tripled what the majority of the authors received before.

I touched a bit on it recently here: http://dividendgrowthforum.com/showthread.php?tid=747
(11-12-2014, 02:59 PM)rapidacid Wrote: Yup. A lot of templated junk. Major change happened in July when Yahoo stopped showing their headlines

Quote:A major change is afoot in the financial blogosphere. As of next Monday Yahoo! Finance will no longer be displaying staple Seeking Alpha headlines on its website. The move was initiated by Yahoo! Finance and comes amid news earlier in the week that Yahoo! Finance launched its own contributor network via Tumblr.

The news is a surprise to many as the two sides were seen as close. Some have even suggested that Yahoo! (NASDAQ: YHOO) was interested in acquiring Seeking Alpha.

While contributors are seeing the news as a major blow, Seeking Alpha is taking the development in stride and today announced a host of new opportunities for itself and contributors.

Seeking Alpha noted that it's been paying Yahoo significant amounts every month for traffic and the traffic they receive in return is "lower quality." The company will take the extra money and pay contributors an additional flat payment of $35 on top of the $10 per thousand pageviews they already pay.

I don't have any data to back it up but I'd guess the flat $35 doubled or tripled what the majority of the authors received before.

I touched a bit on it recently here: http://dividendgrowthforum.com/showthread.php?tid=747
WOW, after reading the article you started, I agree and looks like most do also.
Yes, Abba for one is one i wont even follow.
I REALLY like the button, though it is fun sometimes to see such negative responses come back on some of these "wasted times" articles, it amuses me when more knowledgeable people post the wrongs.
Jim
I avoid trying to read everything that everyone has to say about a company. I stay on top of my portfolio enough to know whats going on in the companies - so, I avoid trying to read every article that makes it to SA on a company. Some authors I admire, I follow them and read what they have to say about companies that I am interested in.

Its a losing battle trying to consume everything produced on a topic.

Since we are venting about writing terrible articles, I'd also like to point out that I have a newfound hatred for Business Insider. There are occasionally good valuable articles and for now, I follow it and read it, but OMG theres a lot of crap. Theres no other word for it. Every day, theres more and more clickbait, which is of no value to anyone. Business Insider is the Buzzfeed of the business world.

For e.g.: One of their "journalist" writes a random article saying "Apple should buy Tesla". Completely unfounded, not reporting and just an opinion from one of their moles. Later in the day, another "journalist" from the same team writes an article "Heres why Apple should not buy Tesla". Again, completely unnecessary, and wasting every reader's time.

I need to find other good news sources. Suggestions are welcome. I'd be very happy to drop BI from my reading list.
I've stopped reading SA for that very reason but follow a couple of guys that you guys recommended. The other site I read and will admit it also has some "template" authors but has some great authors who write about value investing is gurufocus.com. Two authors I highly recommend are:
-Grahamites: http://www.gurufocus.com/ic/space.php?do...Grahamites
-The Science of Hitting: http://www.gurufocus.com/ic/space.php?uid=110170
- John Huber: http://www.gurufocus.com/ic/space.php?do...John+Huber

Oooops pressed reply to soon. Anyway, the authors above provide real insight and analysis to each article. They don't write as often as other authors but there work is top notch and if I had to guess, earn more than $100/ article.
(11-13-2014, 11:15 AM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: I avoid trying to read everything that everyone has to say about a company. I stay on top of my portfolio enough to know whats going on in the companies - so, I avoid trying to read every article that makes it to SA on a company. Some authors I admire, I follow them and read what they have to say about companies that I am interested in.

Its a losing battle trying to consume everything produced on a topic.

Since we are venting about writing terrible articles, I'd also like to point out that I have a newfound hatred for Business Insider. There are occasionally good valuable articles and for now, I follow it and read it, but OMG theres a lot of crap. Theres no other word for it. Every day, theres more and more clickbait, which is of no value to anyone. Business Insider is the Buzzfeed of the business world.

For e.g.: One of their "journalist" writes a random article saying "Apple should buy Tesla". Completely unfounded, not reporting and just an opinion from one of their moles. Later in the day, another "journalist" from the same team writes an article "Heres why Apple should not buy Tesla". Again, completely unnecessary, and wasting every reader's time.

I need to find other good news sources. Suggestions are welcome. I'd be very happy to drop BI from my reading list.

Reasons like this I will not read a Motley fool article either. How many times do you see an article and a counter within hours.

As I said earlier, I read from certain authors and one of them from here is EricL, Nice plug eh Eric..
Jim
(11-13-2014, 07:34 PM)Jimbo Wrote: As I said earlier, I read from certain authors and one of them from here is EricL, Nice plug eh Eric..
Jim

Thanks Jimbo, I appreciate it Big Grin
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha