Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$1000 where to invest 2
So I have $1000 to invest but am not seeing any compelling buys.

I really like AAPL as a growth stock but $108 seems expensive
Msft over 18p/e so also seems expensive
I dont feel comfortable investing in IBM
ULVR is an option but slightly uneasy considering it's recent share price recovery I feel I could get it cheaper if I wait.
P&G and V are expensive too,
I own XOM as an oil stock,

So at the moment I'm going to sit on my money and wait, unless anyone here has anything they think I should look at and consider.

T to put my money at work maybe?

Thanks
Lewys
(11-05-2014, 07:42 AM)Lewys120 Wrote: So I have $1000 to invest but am not seeing any compelling buys.

ULVR is an option but slightly uneasy considering it's recent share price recovery I feel I could get it cheaper if I wait.

So at the moment I'm going to sit on my money and wait, unless anyone here has anything they think I should look at and consider.

Thanks
Lewys

Many of the oil stocks are on sale at the moment. If you are already over weight on oil stocks, then T or SO have some decent returns.
(11-05-2014, 08:19 AM)benjamen Wrote:
(11-05-2014, 07:42 AM)Lewys120 Wrote: So I have $1000 to invest but am not seeing any compelling buys.

Thanks
Lewys

Many of the oil stocks are on sale at the moment. If you are already over weight on oil stocks, then T or SO have some decent returns.

Tempted to buy CVX or COP as they're cheap but I already own XOM. Tough choice,
You could do a lot worse than throwing a dart at the first sheet of this spreadsheet : http://dripinvesting.org/tools/U.S.Divid...mpions.xls

MO and JNJ seem like a good place to start.

Edit:

Lewys, I had a much longer Edit written out but don't have the time right now to say everything I'd like. From your posts over the last month it still seems you need to do quite a bit more work to internalize what it is you're trying to accomplish with your investing. Some of the statements I've read of yours are either way off base or simply not grounded in fact ( AAPL a growth company? MSFT P/E 18 as expensive? )

I'll point you to this post as basically square 1 of DGI: http://www.dividendgrowthinvestor.com/20...tocks.html

Couple that article with the spreadsheet linked above and there won't be too much room for improvement.
(11-05-2014, 08:38 AM)rapidacid Wrote: You could do a lot worse than throwing a dart at the first sheet of this spreadsheet : http://dripinvesting.org/tools/U.S.Divid...mpions.xls

MO and JNJ seem like a good place to start.

Edit:

Lewys, I had a much longer Edit written out but don't have the time right now to say everything I'd like. From your posts over the last month it still seems you need to do quite a bit more work to internalize what it is you're trying to accomplish with your investing. Some of the statements I've read of yours are either way off base or simply not grounded in fact ( AAPL a growth company? MSFT P/E 18 as expensive? )

I'll point you to this post as basically square 1 of DGI: http://www.dividendgrowthinvestor.com/20...tocks.html

Couple that article with the spreadsheet linked above and there won't be too much room for improvement.

AAPL as a growth stock = growing dividends over time. I can't see how thats off the mark if I'm honest. I curremtly own companies with conservatove dividend growth e.g AFLAC so I wanted to invest in a company that potentially is ready to grow its dividend payments at a faster rate

Msft Shiller p/e is 18.5 so I realise its slightly over that now but its expensive considering I could potentially buy at the next dip after a rally over the last month.
(11-05-2014, 09:09 AM)Lewys120 Wrote: AAPL as a growth stock = growing dividends over time.

Growth stock has a very specific meaning. A $640B company is not a growth stock.

(11-05-2014, 09:09 AM)Lewys120 Wrote: Msft Shiller p/e is 18.5 so I realise its slightly over that now but its expensive considering I could potentially buy at the next dip after a rally over the last month.

A dip of what ... 5%? 10%? 25%? Attempting to time the market is fruitless. Pick a stock that fits your criteria and sit on it.

I'm really not attempting to give you a hard time, but your questions and posts are starting to become a bit pedantic.
You're right, there aren't any that I've seen right now. Maybe the oil patch but you said you already own some.

(11-05-2014, 07:42 AM)Lewys120 Wrote: I really like AAPL as a growth stock but $108 seems expensive
Well, it's not grossly out of line here. If you've got a few years, around $100 doesn't seem too terrible to me as long as they keep raising the dividend. If you think it's a mega growth company going forward, then it's cheap here.

(11-05-2014, 07:42 AM)Lewys120 Wrote: Msft over 18p/e so also seems expensive
I agree although I've been playing with Windows 10 and I think it will be the impetus for some corporate upgrades -- especially those that hung on to Windows XP (and there are plenty).

(11-05-2014, 07:42 AM)Lewys120 Wrote: ULVR is an option but slightly uneasy considering it's recent share price recovery I feel I could get it cheaper if I wait.
I thought you were going to purchase ULVR last week? It's still about 7% off its high a month or so ago. I was going to calculate its P/E but it looks like Yahoo! Finance uses USD to show earnings and not in its native currency. I'd still purchase here and let them straighten out their currency and product mix issues over the next year or two. In the meantime, munch on the dividends.

(11-05-2014, 07:42 AM)Lewys120 Wrote: So at the moment I'm going to sit on my money and wait, unless anyone here has anything they think I should look at and consider.
I'll repeat what I said the other day ... that does not strike me as a bad thing to do.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(11-05-2014, 09:28 AM)rapidacid Wrote:
(11-05-2014, 09:09 AM)Lewys120 Wrote: AAPL as a growth stock = growing dividends over time.

Growth stock has a very specific meaning. A $640B company is not a growth stock.

(11-05-2014, 09:09 AM)Lewys120 Wrote: Msft Shiller p/e is 18.5 so I realise its slightly over that now but its expensive considering I could potentially buy at the next dip after a rally over the last month.

A dip of what ... 5%? 10%? 25%? Attempting to time the market is fruitless. Pick a stock that fits your criteria and sit on it.

I'm really not attempting to give you a hard time, but your questions and posts are starting to become a bit pedantic.

I'm sorry as a new investor I missused the word 'growth' I was refering to dividend growth, current concensus of AAPL dividend growth for next year is around a 12% increase, double the dividend growth of any of my current stocks.

I'll take your point on trying to time the market. I don't see how taking an interest in market events and dividend stocks are pedantic though, I have concerns and am seeking to learn how to address these concerns by seeing what others think.
Another beaten down sector is the commodities market. Gold/silver/other metals are falling (and are still expected to fall considering the strong US dollar). Some mining giants are attractively valued right now.
I ended up picking a mid-cap when I wanted a mining firm a couple of years ago (IAMGold) which has taken a beating and the dividend was cut last year. I held on and the stock price has suffered more. Its been the dog in my portfolio, but its still a well run company...a very efficient mining firm. Hopefully they will survive this depression in the mining sector.

I would recommend going for the bigger names in the sector - some DGIs have been picking up BHP/BBL - so something to dig deeper into. Others off the top of my head taht you might want to look into are Barrick Gold (ABX), Franco-Nevada (FNV).
(11-05-2014, 09:43 AM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: Another beaten down sector is the commodities market. Gold/silver/other metals are falling (and are still expected to fall considering the strong US dollar). Some mining giants are attractively valued right now.
I ended up picking a mid-cap when I wanted a mining firm a couple of years ago (IAMGold) which has taken a beating and the dividend was cut last year. I held on and the stock price has suffered more. Its been the dog in my portfolio, but its still a well run company...a very efficient mining firm. Hopefully they will survive this depression in the mining sector.

I would recommend going for the bigger names in the sector - some DGIs have been picking up BHP/BBL - so something to dig deeper into. Others off the top of my head taht you might want to look into are Barrick Gold (ABX), Franco-Nevada (FNV).

Thanks, I will conduct some research in this sector Smile
lewys
(11-05-2014, 09:37 AM)Lewys120 Wrote: I don't see how taking an interest in market events and dividend stocks are pedantic though, I have concerns and am seeking to learn how to address these concerns by seeing what others think.

No need for strawman arguments. Your interest and seeking of knowledge is not pedantic.

The framework, resources and criteria others use to choose equities has already been gone over many times so I won't dwell on that any more as your criteria seems a bit unique.

However, we've also commented that taking a 1.8% hit each time you make a $1,000 transaction may not be in your best interest, but here you are again asking where to put $1,000. Your money is your own, but If you're chosing to ignore advice given then the advice may flow a little less freely in the future. Is a Loyal 3 account available to you?
Lewys123, I don't mean to denigrate your questions but I wonder if you have a method to valuing an investment for purchase? You seem to be asking us to pick for you and I hate to do that.

If you need some help trying to decide for yourself, perhaps looking through some old posts will help. Look here for starters:

http://dividendgrowthforum.com/showthread.php?tid=400

http://dividendgrowthforum.com/showthread.php?tid=296

No one wants to be responsible for your "buyer's remorse". I believe I gave you some suggestions but you didn't use them at the time. I'll add one more: EMR. Now go forth using your criteria and select something to hold for a long, long time or hold your cash until you see something of value -- it will come but sometimes it takes a while. You have something some of us don't have -- plenty of time.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan