Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Hi Lewys,
I think yes, the company will continue to sell their products well. Overall, I think they have a great brand appeal - and for existing customers, they have a fantastic program for upgrading their phones. Every year or two - people keep going back for their trade-in program. This keeps the customers in the ecosystem and some reports place a brand loyalty of upto 90%.
While iPhone is still their biggest hit, theres only so much they can do with it...and new innovation will have to come in the form of software and/or service (Apple Pay is one example). Other new devices wearables (iWatch), home entertainment (Apple TV hasnt seen good upgrades in years), media (music) are also on the horizon. Another avenue for growth is CarPlay - Apple ecosystem in the vehicles and they have already signed agreements with plenty of luxury and mid-tier car manufacturers. So, theres still a lot of innovation on horizon for Apple...its not dead yet Smile

I have to add that it is a bit of a riskier play - since Apple does not have the track record as other dividend growth companies. So, proceed with caution.
Disclosure: long AAPL

I think the most interesting thing we'll see from AAPL in the next 5 years will be their role as the vanguard of the overhaul of the current US repatriation tax laws.

Should we get a one time tax holiday or something more long term I'd expect there to be a one time dividend payment of $10 or $20 or some other killer amount.

I think AAPL is solid enough on its own merits to be included in my DGI portfolio, but also I like to have some skin in the game since AAPL is seemingly the focus of approximately 110% of the stock stories written these days.
(10-20-2014, 12:41 PM)rapidacid Wrote: Disclosure: long AAPL

I think the most interesting thing we'll see from AAPL in the next 5 years will be their role as the vanguard of the overhaul of the current US repatriation tax laws.

Should we get a one time tax holiday or something more long term I'd expect there to be a one time dividend payment of $10 or $20 or some other killer amount.

I think AAPL is solid enough on its own merits to be included in my DGI portfolio, but also I like to have some skin in the game since AAPL is seemingly the focus of approximately 110% of the stock stories written these days.

haha 110% of stock stories. After I added Apple to my Google Finance portfolio, the news stream is full of Apple news (esp considering its earnings release day).

Good point on the US repatriation tax laws. Im in the process of researching how much of my portfolio generates revenue from different countries/geographical regions. The only decent resource I found was this...and this site doesnt seem to support all companies, so Ive had to dig into annual statements for the rest.
http://csimarket.com/stocks/segments_geo.php?code=AAPL

Does anyone know of other resources which gives you this info - a breakdown of revenue sources by geographical location?
This site looks interesting, tho it doesn't appear to have the same set of stats for all companies

http://www.statista.com/statistics/19326...t-regions/
Added 10 UTX this morning. They posted strong earnings but opened flat.
Tomorrow I plan to reduce my V holdings by ~80% and use the funds to add to my ARLP and COP. HP will have to wait another day.
(10-26-2014, 01:14 PM)rapidacid Wrote: Tomorrow I plan to reduce my V holdings by ~80% and use the funds to add to my ARLP and COP. HP will have to wait another day.

I executed this, increasing my yearly dividends by ~$500
Very nice Rapid.

I"m looking to pick up T, AAPL and UNLVR (Better than P&G as it's on LSE so pays dividend in Pounds and currently slightly undervalued)

AAPL = Long term dividend growth play
UNLVR = Dividend champion here in the UK (I believe not in the US due to currency fluctuation?)
T = A high yiled stock that I seek to hold and use to fuel future purchases.

What do you think Smile?

(10-27-2014, 09:07 AM)rapidacid Wrote:
(10-26-2014, 01:14 PM)rapidacid Wrote: Tomorrow I plan to reduce my V holdings by ~80% and use the funds to add to my ARLP and COP. HP will have to wait another day.

I executed this, increasing my yearly dividends by ~$500
In a vacuum T + UNLVR are both solid picks.

I like, and own, AAPL, but I like MSFT more
What do you mean by vacuum?

Why do you prefer MSFT? AAPL div increases have been heavy and I'm looking to hold for decades Tongue

(10-27-2014, 05:00 PM)rapidacid Wrote: In a vacuum T + UNLVR are both solid picks.

I like, and own, AAPL, but I like MSFT more
(10-27-2014, 05:40 PM)Lewys120 Wrote: What do you mean by vacuum?

It means on its own merits, with no outside forces ( ie. your current diversification ) weighing on the decision

(10-27-2014, 05:40 PM)Lewys120 Wrote: Why do you prefer MSFT? AAPL div increases have been heavy and I'm looking to hold for decades Tongue

From just a current valuation perspective:

AAPL current yield is only 1.8% and they've only been paying for 3 years.
MSFT yields 2.7% and has a 5 year dividend CAGR of 18.9%

AAPL has increased their share count 3% in the last decade
MSFT has reduced their share count by nearly 25% in the last decade

They're both super solid companies, I would just put more money to work behind MSFT at this time
Added to SNY and NVO on the dips this morning. Apparently there's pricing pressure in the insulin space, which is resulting in pricing pressure on the stocks.

Also started a small position in Safran (SAFRY), a French maker of jet engines and other aerospace and defense products. They have a longstanding partnership with GE, so they're like a concentrated play on GE Aviation. I've been looking at them for a while and finally pulled the trigger.

http://www.safran-group.com/IMG/pdf/Inve...e_2014.pdf