Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Today I added to TSN. I hope they can continue their explosive dividend growth from recent years.
[quote pid='28431' dateline='1630343698']
(08-30-2021, 08:01 AM)fenders53 Wrote: We'd probably be better off if we could get a 5% SPY/QQQ dip out of the way soon.  Powell keeps talking the market out of it.  Gradually getting us used to the idea of tapering so it won't be much of a event.  We may just keep on gradually climbing until we get something more substantial to worry about.

Bring it on. I'm sitting on 40% cash so I am waiting for those buying opportunities. $5-$10 moves in some of these stocks doesn't even entice me  Big Grin . I need huge moves down.

Those who are sitting on no cash or few cash are going to get hurt sooner or later. That mentality of buy high and keep buying higher will catch up to you soon enough.

I have trimmed a lot of names in recent days. I'm not giving it back and will wait patiently for once Big Grin . I have done very few buying the past 6 weeks. 

Glad I added a lot of BX at that $110-$111 range on that pullback 

BMY waiting on $64

Have been adding to NUSI and ABBV below $112 and CVX below $95 for a place to earn income while I wait for better opportunities

That's about all for me. Not much else going on.
[/quote]
I am hoping for a 5% market dip because that means some good companies will pull back 10%.  80% of the stocks I love are easily 20% overvalued.  If you are 30 and dollar cost averaging a forever port then it may be just fine to nibble NVDA and MSFT, but it's a horrible time to add a bunch of shares because you are afraid to miss a run.

Biggest problem I have now is 1/3 of my game is selling options.  I have a lot of expirations every Friday so I am fat on cash every Monday.  Just nowhere to put all of it some weeks until we get a dip.  I've also trimmed small positions to reduce the excessive tickers.  That's all good until they run another 10% but so far no regrets.  It's not my intent to hold a huge amount of cash but that is where I am creeping towards. 

About seven consecutive up months and end of 2020 wasn't so bad before that.  I am shocked one of the best SPY runs in history occurs during a pandemic. Liquidity is always a powerful force but I never dreamed this could happen.
added some TGT, MA, ABBV and SMG
Added a little OKE to bolster my income on the Feb-May-Aug-Nov cycle which is generally the lowest.

Also trimmed some long term gains on VT to buy the ZM dip which seems unwarranted.
(08-31-2021, 02:08 PM)Dividends from Scratch Wrote: Added a little OKE to bolster my income on the Feb-May-Aug-Nov cycle which is generally the lowest.

Also trimmed some long term gains on VT to buy the ZM dip which seems unwarranted.

Yeah, after I sold off MO and NLY, I found that my 1/4/7/10 months were low, though I've since found alternatives.  At some point next year when I've trimmed the high yielders in favor of more solid DGI stocks, I'll publish my dividend calendar.

I probably won't be around much this month.  No moves to make, my watch list is already full of names, and my other hobbies need attention.  And the Red Sox ... let's not go there.
(09-01-2021, 07:26 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 02:08 PM)Dividends from Scratch Wrote: Added a little OKE to bolster my income on the Feb-May-Aug-Nov cycle which is generally the lowest.

Yeah, after I sold off MO and NLY, I found that my 1/4/7/10 months were low, though I've since found alternatives.  At some point next year when I've trimmed the high yielders in favor of more solid DGI stocks, I'll publish my dividend calendar.

I probably won't be around much this month.  No moves to make, my watch list is already full of names, and my other hobbies need attention.  And the Red Sox ... let's not go there.

You should have held on to MO. Its been up $2 since you sold it and is now over $50  Tongue

Not to mention they just raised the dividend . And you mention solid DGI Stocks. It doesn't get more solid then MO
(09-01-2021, 08:14 AM)stockguru Wrote:

You should have held on to MO. Its been up $2 since you sold it and is now over $50  Tongue

Not to mention they just raised the dividend . And you mention solid DGI Stocks. It doesn't get more solid then MO

I sold both MO and BTI because of the products they make, not because they aren't great stocks to own.  Blame my girlfriend.  I was talking to her about my portfolio, and she went, "Why do you own that ???". Then I realized I don't want to read an article about people smoking more, and be happy because it means profits are up for my stocks.
(09-01-2021, 08:32 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 08:14 AM)stockguru Wrote:

I sold both MO and BTI because of the products they make, not because they aren't great stocks to own.  Blame my girlfriend.  I was talking to her about my portfolio, and she went, "Why do you own that ???".  Then I realized I don't want to read an article about people smoking more, and be happy because it means profits are up for my stocks.

Money is money. I never smoked a day in my life and yet I own the name. And smoke isn't the only thing that kills you. Lots of things can kill you like food, drugs. cars, ect. JNJ kills people too and I bet you own that one lol  Big Grin
[quote pid='28441' dateline='1630499211']

[/quote]
We'll tell you when you have permission to leave.  You'd miss us second guessing all your trades.  Smile I almost sold my MO a few months ago as I get tired of the regulatory hassles.  I'll sell some covered calls if it runs into the dividend though.  Sadly there will be a chance to buy it back some month soon.  Five year CAP gain on MO is nuthin' in a very strong bull market.

Seriously though leave it alone if you don't like the business.  We aren't in charge of your ethics.
NSC, APD and CMI are names I'm looking to add too. There are some nice dips if you can find them lol
Added WFC at $53.85
[quote pid='28446' dateline='1630505142']
NSC, APD and CMI are names I'm looking to add too. There are some nice dips if you can find them lol
[/quote]
I think APD and CMI are dead money for awhile but good long-term DGI stocks.  They just ran too high last year. They dipped but they aren't cheap yet.  APD has to stop blowing earnings reports as they have many times the past few years.  You would think they can handle their analysts better.