Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Added to BTI and VIAC. I'll continue to add to these two as long as the P/E stays so low.
Nothing wrong with NOC either, I wouldn't mind owning that one too.
But LMT is actually very well positioned going forward.

-The F-35 is quickly becoming the #1 fighter (in term of aircraft in use) in the world. Yeah, the program had it's issues but name one fighter aircraft that was flawless the second it was put on the production line... I'll wait. Wink Anyway, the F-35 will be the most commonly used aircraft in the western world and will likely remain that way for a good 20-40 years... this is a multi-decade long project. New aircraft (most countries are still waiting to buy more. Switzerland just signed a deal to buy the F-35. Finland will very likely sign a similar deal towards the end of the year. Middle eastern countries aren't really allowed to buy it yet, that will very likely change at some point paving the way for massive deals), upgrades, updates, spare parts, maintenance contracts etc. This project will be a massive cash generating machine for decades to come.

-Space, the next frontier. Space is heating up, mainly in the commercial side of things. This is what most people do not understand: around 20% of LMT's revenue already comes from space related activities, both civilian and military. It's a rapidly growing sector where LMT is very well positioned to win contracts from both commercial clients as well as the US government. People don't realize it but LMT is a massive player in this field already.

-Check what the Patriot franchise has done to Raytheon. THAAD could do the same to LMT. While this project is not nearly as certain as the F-35, this could be another multi-decade long project with significant international interest.

LMT won't take you to the moon. No wait actually they will literally do that. But what I mean to say is it might not be the fastest grower out there but revenues, EPS, cash flows, dividend will all keep growing steadily for the foreseeable future. Couple that with a starting yield of almost 3% (growing ~10% per year) and a current P/E of ~14... the only real risk here is Uncle Sam making huge cuts to defense spending. I'm ok with that risk! Big Grin
Added to AVGO today.
I think under Biden we will see less spending on defense but global appetite for these systems isn't going anywhere. Specially with China flexing muscles and asserting itself as next big power.

I have LMT and woukd love to pick more under $340is for long term.
Added a few shares of LMT. Extremely confident long term.
Added to LMT and BTI as well. My entry point for AVGO has been 450. Not sure that will come anytime soon.
I'm not as confident in LMT. There's just no rush to buy right now, when you can get at $330 in a few months. Ever since Hewson retired its been a mess. And now you have CFO who left and has only been there since 2019. Not good. Sure they make a ton on money but LHX and NOC has out performed them for good reasons.

Great company and great dividend, just not at a price I'm willing to buy yet. Especially when its now below the 200 MA.

Anyway added to BTI, FB, V, UAA and SAP

Sold out of WM and LB
I didn't buy anything today, and haven't made a lot of moves in the past year or two, but owe you all a quick update. In the spring of 2020, I did some shopping during the pandemic fire sale -- picked up some BEN, DIS, MO, OHI, and XOM. More recently, I've been accumulating BTI pretty aggressively.

As I am working to update my spreadsheets, I'm thinking it may be time to do a little house-cleaning (especially of my smaller positions). For starters, I'm strongly considering dumping my small position in PSX, and plowing the proceeds into still more BTI.
Any fans of SMG? I added some today on the dip.
What is this deal with everyone buying massive amounts of BTI all of a sudden?
Didn't you guys and gals get the memo about cigarettes being a dying industry? I think I sent it around 2013 or 2014. Big Grin
(08-04-2021, 02:54 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: What is this deal with everyone buying massive amounts of BTI all of a sudden?
Didn't you guys and gals get the memo about cigarettes being a dying industry? I think I sent it around 2013 or 2014. Big Grin

Yield chasing.  Everyone's eyes are lighting up over that 8% figure.  It's been on the downhill slope since mid-June.   Cool
(08-04-2021, 02:54 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: What is this deal with everyone buying massive amounts of BTI all of a sudden?

Yield chasing.  Everyone's eyes are lighting up over that 8% figure.  It's been on the downhill slope since mid-June.   Cool
[/quote]
That's why we are buying it now.  Big Grin  Yield is all tobacco companies are good for.  I sell covered calls against mine as well and hoping for 10% return  We'll see.  

It may be a dream but I am hoping BTI has less political drama than MO.