Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Sold CC in psxp. It's up 9% today. Sold CC in PLTR. Look like enph put will expire worthless. Looking to sell another if it comes down today.

Defense stocks on fire.
(04-09-2021, 11:04 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: No you're right I do, in general, prefer ETFs.  But good point about the elective surgery business.
Most of us lose patience at times.  With blue chip DGI I try to avoid being impulsive.  When in doubt I pull up a chart and and add the S&P500 as a comparison.   I look at long-term return and drawdowns.  I just did for JNJ.  It has been equal of better to the SPY for about 18 of the last 20 years.  SPY has beat it last two years.  When we bought matters in the short-term view.  Do I think JNJ will outperform SPY the next few years?  I don't know but there is a chance.  Do I think it is undervalued vs SPY, or at least less overvalued?  Yes I do.  Everything is relative in this game.  They grow earning through thick and thin.  The Div always grows.  Will it drawdown less than SPY in a rough market?  It almost certainly will be safer, and maybe by 10 or 20%.     

I am giving MRK and PFE the same scrutiny.  I've held PFE for 25yrs and it's very clearly a long-term underperformer.  Only DRP made it better than a CD.  MRK is only marginally better, but it seems to have more near to midterm upside.  I have no justification to hold either with much confidence.  I'll sell some covered calls on small runs and let the market decide.  At least I'll get some income to invest elsewhere in the meantime.
Thanks for confirming what I'd thought; that it was pretty awesome up until about 2 years ago. I think I will hold it until covid ends and see if the return of elective surgeries puts it back on track. That said, I'm going to go back to the thread on DGI ETFs and find one or two to pick up when new money presents itself.

Merck I was buying in the late 90s and gave up on it then. Smile

Fwiw, of the individual stocks I bought in March, the top 3 so far are Target, Lockheed Martin, and Oracle. The bottom 3 are Johnson & Johnson, Eli Lilly, and ABBVie.
(04-09-2021, 11:37 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Thanks for confirming what I'd thought; that it was pretty awesome up until about 2 years ago.  I think I will hold it until covid ends and see if the return of elective surgeries puts it back on track.  That said, I'm going to go back to the thread on DGI ETFs and find one or two to pick up when new money presents itself.

Merck I was buying in the late 90s and gave up on it then. Smile

Fwiw, of the individual stocks I bought in March, the top 3 so far are Target, Lockheed Martin, and Oracle.  The bottom 3 are Johnson & Johnson, Eli Lilly, and ABBVie.

Its almost as if the sector matters over the course of a one month hold.  Smile
I added on CLX today. Added ABBV, NKE & MRK during the past couple of days.

I am having a hard time finding quality names to add now. Probably for the first time I can finally build a cash position. Smile
(04-09-2021, 11:51 AM)Dividendwayfarer Wrote: I added on CLX today. Added ABBV, NKE & MRK during the past couple of days.

I am having a hard time finding quality names to add now. Probably for the first time I can finally build a cash position. Smile

Same.  I nibble some to stay engaged, but most of the deals on quality are just OK for now.  In the short term, most of the real sales I have found occur when a quality company slightly disappoints and is overly unpunished for a few days or weeks.  Earnings season is back again very soon.  Summer is coming too, and that usually brings some low volume trading bargains at some point.
(04-09-2021, 11:11 AM)vbin Wrote: Sold CC in psxp. It's up 9% today. Sold CC in PLTR. Look like enph put will expire worthless. Looking to sell another if it comes down today.

Defense stocks on fire.

ENPH is a lot of fun.  It's about as volatile an option I will play, but I do believe in the underlying.  It's probably the best one to own with a big footprint in home solar.  In the end I think the real money in solar will be at the utility scale though.  I think today will be the fifth time I have scored selling ENPH puts.  I have a $145 next Friday as well.  I would like to sell a new one but the dips are plentiful so maybe next week?  I wouldn't mind being assigned some ENPH shares but $125 is my target.  Maybe this summer?  I only own about a dozen long shares and don't want to add way higher.  The valuation may be fine for a few $K invested but it could take them a year to get the PE down to something sane with earning growth.  At least they have actual earnings growth and that is why I am here.       

I had to walk a NIO put down today.  Had a strike $38 and moved it forward and down a week.  Now watch it close at 38.02 Smile  Another spec I'd be fine owning a little cheaper.
Started a position in BABA this morning. Looks like a ~$2 billion antitrust fine is the punishment for being disloyal to Xi.
(04-12-2021, 09:14 AM)Otter Wrote: Started a position in BABA this morning. Looks like a ~$2 billion antitrust fine is the punishment for being disloyal to Xi.
Are any corporate officers missing today?  Smile

I almost added to my BABA last week.  It should have some legs for awhile.
Sold put in ENPH. Closed some puts in dash for small profits. Still down on my dash puts.

Of all the stocks, dash is up today. What a joke.

I started position in baba couple days back aswell. Thinking to buy tencent too.
(04-12-2021, 09:43 AM)vbin Wrote: Sold put in ENPH. Closed some puts in dash for small profits. Still down on my dash puts.

Of all the stocks, dash is up today. What a joke.

I started position in baba couple days back aswell. Thinking to buy tencent too.

China is tough.  Too good to ignore, and too many risk variables to allow me to invest meaningfully.  

I need to kill some cash before it gets even worse this Friday.  I am going to sell some sketchy puts on falling knife stocks today.  Actually not too sketchy as I am not going to get greedy selling very close to the money.  That tends to work out.  Pretty easy to roll forward too if you don't dig yourself in a hole the first week.  I'll report back with actual trades later.   Cool
tdoc and a small starter position trmb