Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(02-19-2021, 03:00 PM)EricL Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 11:37 AM)fenders53 Wrote: UTEs are getting no love with interest rates creeping.  I may nibble but gettiing far so I need to find a different sector to build.

No doubt. I was doing some work updating my watch list last night and hadn't realized they'd dropped so much.

AEP at a 3.75% yield now and WEC at 3.25%.

Might have to spend my first dividend reinvestment on bringing up a utility in size.
I think that would be a good move.  You won't get better yields from some of them unless the entire market pulls back hard.  About half of the top ten (IMO), have pulled back well over 15% off their highs.  I have been scattering 15-25 shares in my UTEs every day or two for several weeks, and stepped it up this week.  I am probably a bit overweight the sector but that is easy to fix.  Grab a dividend and sell a few covered calls to trim if they ever go up.  

NEE just knocked LMT out as my largest Port position.  It's not really cheap enough to hold that position but here I am.  Smile  WEC and AEP are now large positions.  XEL not far behind.  EXC and ALE are only 100 share positions.  I think I still have short-puts open in AEP-DUK-NEE-XEL so this could get out of hand.  Smile  

Added a few shares of NKE today.  A lot of put sales just expired worthless so I can go shopping next week if we get a sale.  Made a few boring moves I need to put in the conservative options thread.
(02-19-2021, 03:58 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 03:30 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 02:57 PM)saimash Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 02:34 PM)divmenow Wrote: Bought some CCL. Looks like it finally broke some resistance. Good hit $30 soon.

On top of that I just booked my cruise for Nov for the 4 of us for $1500 for 7 days. Dirt cheap. I cant even go the shore for less then 2 grand just for a weekend getaway lol

That sounds like fun DiveMeNow :-)
Never hurts to give business to a company you've invested in !
The cruise seems like a steal... We've been thinking of booking a cruise as well... The flight prices from Minnesota to places where the cruises start from actually defeats the purpose though (Done 2 cruises from Seattle to Alaska and from Charleston to the Caribbean islands)... Itching to get back on it again :-)

I have lived in Boston all my life and have yet to do the Boston to Bermuda cruise.  As soon as Covid ends!

Yeah were going from Orlando to Mexico and Jamaica. Have to fly out from Philly to get to Orlando first lol

But that's why I booked the cruise now while there cheap. Once the pandemic ends they will most likely go up. 

Best thing is if Nov 21st comes and the pandemic isn't over they refund your money. So its a win, win  Big Grin

Boston area is fun. You a Sox fan? I can't wait wait for baseball to start. Die hard fan
I am very excited for baseball to start.  We'll fire up a thread and I'll bug you guys to post it more often this season.  I've never been a BOSOX fan, but you ain't a real baseball fan if you don't want to see at least one game at Fenway.  Same goes for Wrigley but it's updated now.  I love the newer parks too.  Maybe I just love baseball?  

I have no interest in a cruise but my wife would love it.  Probably need to put that on the retirement list in a couple years.
Great tip on the cruise cancellation policy!

I'm a huge Sox fan most years. Doesn't seem like they're trying right now though.

I made a very small purchase of a couple bit coin funds. I normally detest investing in something I don't understand, and in general things instead of companies (I usually shy away from gold/silver too), but it's part of my new watch-it-with-small-amounts policy.
Best way to learn. I have no idea how to value it and that has to happen if it is to ever be mainstream currency. Unless I am missing something immediately converting it to USD after a sale makes it not currency. Can you imagine a company missing or beating earnings by 25% due to currency fluctuation?
(02-19-2021, 10:55 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Best way to learn.  I have no idea how to value it and that has to happen if it is to ever be mainstream currency.  Unless I am missing something immediately converting it to USD after a sale makes it not currency.  Can you imagine a company missing or beating earnings by 25% due to currency fluctuation?

I'm hearing everything and everyone will be accepting bitcoin in the near and distant future.  If that's the case this will be a big growth industry and has a lot of room to run. 

You already have T, MSFT, TSLA Burger King, Subway, Overstock, Pizza Hut, The Dolphins. The Mavericks, Norwegian Air,  Cheap Air, NewEgg, Amazon, and lots of others. So that list will keep on growing. And lets not forget Paypal and Square are incorporating as well. So Bictoin is very rael. 

I added some blockchain and crypto mining stocks to my growth portfolio the past few days. 

Its a new world, and you have to adjust  Big Grin
Since everything is electronic pay I guess that works. Buy a cheeseburger and vendor converts to USD or other FIAT. The store of wealth thing is what I don't understand. I was listening to O'Leary and he was stating this. Accept it yes but instantly it's USD and they aren't holding bitcoin. Sure Elon can speculate on it but JNJ not converting their BIZ to it.

I realize USD fluctuates as currency exchange rates fluctuate, but I don't wake up tomorrow and my $100K in the bank is now $50K or $125K.

I know you guys get that. How do you solve that when it's decentralized? I'm not expecting a good answer yet and my net worth is as stable as a leveraged weed stock ETF until I get that answer. Smile Great spec investment, not a legit currency yet.
Your btc also doesn't change. If you buy 100 btc, it will stay as 100. However if you try to measure it in usd, the value will change.
(05-07-2020, 11:15 AM)kblake Wrote: bought WFC, GD, FRT, MO, PM and BRK.B

I'm still holding 48% cash for other opportunities

(02-20-2021, 09:05 PM)vbin Wrote: Your btc also doesn't change. If you buy 100 btc, it will stay as 100.  However if you try to measure it in usd, the value will change.
They will come around to some method of valuing it some day.  It's finite so that makes it possible to find some stability.
(02-20-2021, 03:17 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I know you guys get that.  How do you solve that when it's decentralized?  I'm not expecting a good answer yet and my net worth is as stable as a leveraged weed stock ETF until I get that answer.  Smile Great spec investment, not a legit currency yet.

Once more people will start using it as a currency, the price will automatically stabilize. Right now I'd say that 95%+ of the crypto coins out there are viewed as pure investments, not actually currency that is being used. If that will change someday, then the exchange rates stabilize too. 

Also keep in mind that large fiat currencies can have significant price swings. The brazilian real has shifted about 20% during the past year vs USD. Even if you look at EUR/USD, you'll see a 10%ish difference between the high and low of the past year, and a 40%ish difference between the high and low of the past decade. Yes. 40%. For the two largest currencies in the western world. 

I still do not think that bitcoin will ever be widely used. It's just too cumbersome (I can send most fiat currencies to the other side of the world faster and cheaper than I can send bitcoin) and as I mentioned, currently bitcoins are not widely used. The amount of electricity required to keep the systems up is insane, and likely needs to grow significantly if we want to properly use bitcoins as a currency.

Bitcoin is the poster child and as such draws in the speculative investment money. I suspect that, assuming we will use a crypto currency widely at some point, it'll be something other than bitcoin. Something that is much more lightweight and will do what bitcoin was supposed to do: allow for instant transfers across the planet with negligible cost.
(02-20-2021, 11:22 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

(02-20-2021, 09:05 PM)vbin Wrote: Your btc also doesn't change. If you buy 100 btc, it will stay as 100.  However if you try to measure it in usd, the value will change.
They will come around to some method of valuing it some day.  It's finite so that makes it possible to find some stability.
Well technically, the btc protocol can be changed to make it 44M, 88M or whatever the world wants( almost will not happen), but yes for now it's finite.

(02-21-2021, 12:12 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 03:17 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I know you guys get that.  How do you solve that when it's decentralized?  I'm not expecting a good answer yet and my net worth is as stable as a leveraged weed stock ETF until I get that answer.  Smile Great spec investment, not a legit currency yet.

Once more people will start using it as a currency, the price will automatically stabilize. Right now I'd say that 95%+ of the crypto coins out there are viewed as pure investments, not actually currency that is being used. If that will change someday, then the exchange rates stabilize too. 

Also keep in mind that large fiat currencies can have significant price swings. The brazilian real has shifted about 20% during the past year vs USD. Even if you look at EUR/USD, you'll see a 10%ish difference between the high and low of the past year, and a 40%ish difference between the high and low of the past decade. Yes. 40%. For the two largest currencies in the western world. 

I still do not think that bitcoin will ever be widely used. It's just too cumbersome (I can send most fiat currencies to the other side of the world faster and cheaper than I can send bitcoin) and as I mentioned, currently bitcoins are not widely used. The amount of electricity required to keep the systems up is insane, and likely needs to grow significantly if we want to properly use bitcoins as a currency.

Bitcoin is the poster child and as such draws in the speculative investment money. I suspect that, assuming we will use a crypto currency widely at some point, it'll be something other than bitcoin. Something that is much more lightweight and will do what bitcoin was supposed to do: allow for instant transfers across the planet with negligible cost.
See this is my actual opinion but I dont want to be mocked off ths forum. Smile  I dont care if others want to speculate on BTC. It bothers me no more than a tech stock running 10x higher than sanity.

I see room for crypto improvement and maybe I'm not tech savvy enough but it seems kinda locked in at birth other than a fork which I dont pretend to understand.

And there are only a few FIAT currencies I would ever put my wealth into because I am a snobby American. Meanwhile we do all we can to undermine it.
I stay away from commodities and currencies as investments; therefore, gold/silver and bitcoin/alt-coins are just not part of my investment decision making. If btc ever becomes part of our currency spectrum then I'll use it as I use our u.s. dollar. I'm basically cashless anyways and it's all documented--I see no use for BTC. And if we ever get ourselves into negative interest rates then I'll invest in Berk stock.