Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(04-07-2020, 09:21 AM)fenders53 Wrote: It's been amazing to watch.  I will buy an economy on the way up, but absolutely not one very clearly on the way down.  Almost all of the "great buys" are an illusion.  I won't chase stocks that have bounced 20% in a week for no economic reason.  Few stocks are good deals now, they just happen to be cheaper than they were when they were over-priced barely a month ago.  Nothing good happened since then.  I trimmed some more this morning.  I entered this with too much cash and bought big time on the way down, so taking a few profits.  I still own about 45 stocks and I still like most of them long-term.  I refuse to believe at least some of them won't give me a very good entry point if I show a little restraint.  I have a ton of long shares and always will.  I am fine no matter which way the market goes short term.

As always I appreciate the back and forth debate.   I learn more from those who challenge my thoughts.  I'd like to think it makes us less likely to walk off the cliff like a bunch of sheep.  The long-term DGI thing still works if you watch your valuations.   The rest is noise in the end. Or blah,blah,blah and Guru likes to say lol.

(04-07-2020, 09:52 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 09:21 AM)fenders53 Wrote: It's been amazing to watch.  I will buy an economy on the way up, but absolutely not one very clearly on the way down.  Almost all of the "great buys" are an illusion.  I won't chase stocks that have bounced 20% in a week for no economic reason.  Few stocks are good deals now, they just happen to be cheaper than they were when they were over-priced barely a month ago.  Nothing good happened since then.  I trimmed some more this morning.  I entered this with too much cash and bought big time on the way down, so taking a few profits.  I still own about 45 stocks and I still like most of them long-term.  I refuse to believe at least some of them won't give me a very good entry point if I show a little restraint.  I have a ton of long shares and always will.  I am fine no matter which way the market goes short term.

As always I appreciate the back and forth debate.   I learn more from those who challenge my thoughts.  I'd like to think it makes us less likely to walk off the cliff like a bunch of sheep.  The long-term DGI thing still works if you watch your valuations.   The rest is noise in the end. Or blah,blah,blah and Guru likes to say lol.

Well no one listens to Guru anyway so lol  Big Grin
I still miss her.  It's getting hard to trade this market without her sassy mouth telling me I am too bearish everyday.   Big Grin

Her PII watch turned out to be a good trade this week.  I bet she sat on her little bull hands and never pulled the trigger.  Big Grin Big Grin
(04-07-2020, 10:34 AM)divmenow Wrote: SPG up big today. Should we short it ?

Absolutely, short every stock that is over 50% down.  What could possibly go wrong?   Big Grin
(04-07-2020, 10:35 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

I still miss her.  It's getting hard to trade this market without her sassy mouth telling me I am too bearish everyday.   Big Grin

Her PII watch turned out to be a good trade this week.  I bet she sat on her little bull hands and never pulled the trigger.  Big Grin Big Grin

Her PII and VFC picks were both good ones. But like you said she probably took the dog for a walk and forgot once she took that baggy out to clean up its mess   Big Grin

Guru you got anymore picks??... What ever you mention this time I'm going to buy. They don't call you the Guru for nothing  Big Grin
(04-07-2020, 10:53 AM)divmenow Wrote:

Her PII and VFC picks were both good ones. But like you said she probably took the dog for a walk and forgot once she took that baggy out to clean up its mess   Big Grin

Guru you got anymore picks??... What ever you mention this time I'm going to buy. They don't call you the Guru for nothing  Big Grin

You guys are hilarious hahahaha!! Glad your having fun at my expense  Big Grin  And I did take my dog for a walk but I bought PII before I left. So take that  Big Grin

What do you think about buying a put in BA? I see it going back to $125 and that would give me the option to buy it make a profit in it with the option.  Good choice  Fenders?? I want to try it out for my first time  Huh
(04-07-2020, 11:12 AM)stockguru Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 10:53 AM)divmenow Wrote:

You guys are hilarious hahahaha!! Glad your having fun at my expense  Big Grin  And I did take my dog for a walk but I bought PII before I left. So take that  Big Grin

What do you think about buying a put in BA? I see it going back to $125 and that would give me the option to buy it make a profit in it with the option.  Good choice  Fenders?? I want to try it out for my first time  Huh
BA is not a horrible idea.  You know I am always full of "sage" advice because I'm old and had a chance to screw everything up at least once by now lol.

Options are a game of statistics, so I am almost always the seller.  Your gut does matter in spite of the stats.  When I buy one here are the rules I try to abide by.  

-Don't get locked in on one stock to "short" and force a trade.  Pick about 5 and follow them so you have some clue what to expect.  It requires some serious self control to win often enough to make it worth it.  Make one of those 5 stocks come to you. 

-Find stocks with no real chance of fixing their problem over night.  (BA highly qualifies along with 500 other stocks).  Fake Twitter good news is your risk here.  Buy the put after some of that BS comes out twice a week and spikes the stock.  You need to catch a stock on an up day. 

-Bet small the first few times.  Call it tuition money.  Maybe short a volatile stock and boring stock and watch how they work.  Implied volatility drives option premiums so you are going to pay a little too much no matter what in this volatile market.  

-Never ever short a market darling no matter how overvalued.  Pick on the current weaklings.  Shorting, TSLA, or some tech high flyer is insane even if they are losing money.  There are always much easier targets.       

All that said, yeah I'd short BA when it runs. It will cost some money but just in case give yourself a month to be right when you pick the expiration date.  If you think you can be right in a week consistently you will lose soon enough, and too often.

I used the word short repeatedly. Buy a put, don't short. You probably knew what I meant but you are in reality shorting when you buy a put.
I guess not many people are buying today. I get that.
I didn't want to either, and this is a pure FOMO buy, I can admit to that.
But added a tiny bit of LHX.

I've been building my position during the past.. year-ish? And I've usually added when it's below $200, so I figured what the hell, it's just above $180 might as well add again.
Bought Atlas corp's prefferred stocks. Yielding at 14%.

Has anyone else looked into prefferred stocks? I am thinking to allocate some money to PFF( ishares prefferred ETF) yeilding at 6.8% right now.
(04-07-2020, 02:13 PM)vbin Wrote: Bought Atlas corp's prefferred stocks. Yielding at 14%.

Has anyone else looked into prefferred stocks? I am thinking to allocate some money to PFF( ishares prefferred ETF) yeilding at 6.8% right now.

I own some CEFs.  Closed end funds that buy preferred shares.  They always get beat up during rough markets so I usually stock up.  Nothing wrong with what you are doing but I like some funds in the port.  It's hard to adequately track a million individual positions.  Smile

I did more bearish stuff while the market was still up 500+ today.  Bought one more SEP SPY put,  sold a few covered calls that expire THU.  Made tiny trims to some of my positions to raise some cash so I can go shopping again soon.
Bought some T with some pooled dividends
So AAPL, DRI and TWTR all upgraded to buy this morning. Very interesting. I can’t remember the last time I saw an upgrade lol. Maybe we have bottomed. Hmmm
Bought a couple shares of T. Thank you to everyone for their advice on transfers and stocks. I was able to easily transfer my positions to fidelity to avoid paying E*TRADEs commission fees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(04-08-2020, 08:58 AM)divmenow Wrote: So AAPL, DRI and TWTR all upgraded to buy this morning. Very interesting. I can’t remember the last time I saw an upgrade lol. Maybe we have bottomed. Hmmm

There were a few upgrades about the time we bottomed  the SPY and some companies were getting way out of hand on the downside.  Most of the analysts seem to have froze due to lack of updated data.  Some companies will be in their pre-earning report lock up periods soon, if they aren't already.  We really do need earning #s soon, for better or worse.