Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Took new positions in NOC and MCD this morning
Nibbled on some WEN and EXC this morning. Also selling a few puts but won't bore you with that on this thread. I got caught with a little too much cash but some of these stocks are seemingly running on air after mediocre earnings so I'll try to be patient.
Added to WM and CVS. I have been waiting to get into WM at these levels for a while now.
(11-05-2019, 03:02 PM)divmenow Wrote: Added to WM and CVS. I have been waiting to get into WM at these levels for a while now.

WM is a garbage stock!  So is RSG and I'm nibbling on both of them.  Smile  I'm hoping WM pulls back harder so I can build a large position at a great price.
(11-05-2019, 05:47 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 03:02 PM)divmenow Wrote: Added to WM and CVS. I have been waiting to get into WM at these levels for a while now.

WM is a garbage stock!  So is RSG and I'm nibbling on both of them.  Smile  I'm hoping WM pulls back harder so I can build a large position at a great price.

Haha!! Yeah I took a half position today. I will build the other half it gets lower. I like RSG and WCN as well. With all the wild fires these names should do well over the next several quarters and beyond
(11-05-2019, 08:37 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 05:47 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Haha!! Yeah I took a half position today. I will build the other half it gets lower. I like RSG and WCN as well. With all the wild fires these mamas should do well over the next several quarters and beyond

I first heard about WM when one of my fellow investment club  members did a presentation.  Must have been about 1997.  One of those stocks that rarely appears cheap enough to buy and you regret it later.  Defensive type stock that also benefits when the economy is expanding.
I've been looking at WM too once in a while. But yes, indeed, it has looked way too expensive. PE is currently at 26.47 and div is at 1.83% (data from yahoo) so it doesn't look horribly priced right now. What sort of levels are you guys targeting for those bigger buys?
(11-06-2019, 06:14 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I've been looking at WM too once in a while. But yes, indeed, it has looked way too expensive. PE is currently at 26.47 and div is at 1.83% (data from yahoo) so it doesn't look horribly priced right now. What sort of levels are you guys targeting for those bigger buys?

IMO you have to view this one somewhat like historical JNJ with less of the current JNJ noise.  The current WM PE is not cheap but you gotta pay some for the security.  They haul trash and that never goes away.  That pays the dividend and we won't ever wake up to the threat of bankruptcy.  As Divemenow mentions they have other lucrative but unpredictable revenue streams  like natural disasters.  We don't know what quarter they happen, but we can be sure they will happen.  They often make a lot of money with their recyclables BIZ, but they are producing a commodity and now is not one of those times when the commodity prices are up so earnings are down, hence the SP pullback.  To answer your question the current SP is probably good long-term, but  the chances it goes to 100 or less on the next market pullback is fairly likely.  That's when it would become a core position.  That is my long-term goal.  The static of big pharma isn't going away so this just seems like a very good place to park somewhat defensive money.  All that said, valuation always matters in the end and there is still little margin of safety at these SPs if the market gets rough, and we know it will.
(11-06-2019, 07:15 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 06:14 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I've been looking at WM too once in a while. But yes, indeed, it has looked way too expensive. PE is currently at 26.47 and div is at 1.83% (data from yahoo) so it doesn't look horribly priced right now. What sort of levels are you guys targeting for those bigger buys?

IMO you have to view this one somewhat like historical JNJ with less of the current JNJ noise.  The current WM PE is not cheap but you gotta pay some for the security.  They haul trash and that never goes away.  That pays the dividend and we won't ever wake up to the threat of bankruptcy.  As Divemenow mentions they have other lucrative but unpredictable revenue streams  like natural disasters.  We don't know what quarter they happen, but we can be sure they will happen.  They often make a lot of money with their recyclables BIZ, but they are producing a commodity and now is not one of those times when the commodity prices are up so earnings are down, hence the SP pullback.  To answer your question the current SP is probably good long-term, but  the chances it goes to 100 or less on the next market pullback is fairly likely.  That's when it would become a core position.  That is my long-term goal.  The static of big pharma isn't going away so this just seems like a very good place to park somewhat defensive money.  All that said, valuation always matters in the end and there is still little margin of safety at these SPs if the market gets rough, and we know it will.
WM is by far the leader in the industry. Think of them as the Microsoft of Trash. They continue to make acquisitions to further dominant their industry. And I don't look at the PE only being 1.83%. Lots of others on this board by stocks with a far less of a yield. This is one of those stocks you can sleep safely at night knowing you own. The market will start to decline and stocks like WM will benefit. There are targets out there between $130-140 range. It's down from $117 a share which was just hit a few weeks back. You rarely get a chance to get a large dip like this. It may hit $100-105. But it also may go back to $115+. Which is why I bought some now and will add if it should get under $105.
(11-06-2019, 07:37 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 07:15 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

WM is by far the leader in the industry. Think of them as the Microsoft of Trash. They continue to make acquisitions to further dominant their industry. And I don't look at the PE only being 1.83%. Lots of others on this board by stocks with a far less of a yield. This is one of those stocks you can sleep safely at night knowing you own. The market will start to decline and stocks like WM will benefit. There are targets out there between $130-140 range. It's down from $117 a share which was just hit a few weeks back. You rarely get a chance to get a large dip like this. It may hit $100-105. But it also may go back to $115+. Which is why I bought some now and will add if it should get under $105.

WM is the leader but they trade lockstep with others like RSG if there isn't a current issue like a union strike etc.  I'd stick with a major player though.  The majors have seemingly divided up the country by region and don't seem to engage with price wars.  Everybody is winning.
Sold 100 shares of “O” and picked up some BMY
added to ABBV, BMY and FDX