Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(08-07-2019, 10:17 PM)rayray Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 03:38 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 12:52 AM)rayray Wrote: added to MO and ADM
It's time to put AG back on my watch list.  Thanks for the reminder on ADM.

NP

ADM is one of those really boring like watching paint dry stocks! I wrestle with it at times and then I'm like ok why not...been waiting for it to drop under 39 for a while!
I live in corn country near a couple of ADM plants. AG is going to be a rough ride for awhile.  Should have some time to build a position.  The dividend current yield looks very good here.  And I can use a little more boring in my portfolio.
(08-06-2019, 08:46 AM)Otter Wrote: From the limited perspective of the stock market (not taking into account all of the other negative effects, such as layoffs), pre-recession periods are essentially Prime Day for stocks. Get quality stuff at a value that you are happy with. You will never buy in at the absolute bottom. People who bought at the pre-2008 peak were in pretty good shape a decade after the worst recession since 1929. Aristocrats with solid balance sheets are likely to keep increasing their dividends year-on-year. The sky isn't falling, but a sale might be in the works.

They are definitely good for long-term investing.  Invest on the way down and back up.  You have to put yourself in a position to continue adding more shares though.  You'll catch some at and very near the bottom which is good enough.  

What's going on now is not recessionary though.  It's a bit of a circus and an intra-day roller coaster ride like I haven't seen lately.  Most of my port is not supposed to oscillate 10% in a week or so, but some of it does..  That was never my plan lol.
(08-08-2019, 02:03 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 08:46 AM)Otter Wrote: From the limited perspective of the stock market (not taking into account all of the other negative effects, such as layoffs), pre-recession periods are essentially Prime Day for stocks. Get quality stuff at a value that you are happy with. You will never buy in at the absolute bottom. People who bought at the pre-2008 peak were in pretty good shape a decade after the worst recession since 1929. Aristocrats with solid balance sheets are likely to keep increasing their dividends year-on-year. The sky isn't falling, but a sale might be in the works.

They are definitely good for long-term investing.  Invest on the way down and back up.  You have to put yourself in a position to continue adding more shares though.  You'll catch some at and very near the bottom which is good enough.  

What's going on now is not recessionary though.  It's a bit of a circus and an intra-day roller coaster ride like I haven't seen lately.  Most of my port is not supposed to oscillate 10% in a week or so, but some of it does..  That was never my plan lol.

The pronounced 3mo/10yr yield-curve inversion is typically pre-recessionary. If past performance of that indicator is any measure, I suspect we will be in a recession by 2Q 2020.  Market typically begins its drop before the recession is formally declared. 

There's always a bear market somewhere, though. Right now it appears to be tobacco stocks and healthcare stocks with exposure to the opioid/medicare for all headlines. My buy list just gets bigger during recessions.
Also, added to OZK this morning.
bought SEIC, new position.
(08-08-2019, 08:44 AM)Otter Wrote:
(08-08-2019, 02:03 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

The pronounced 3mo/10yr yield-curve inversion is typically pre-recessionary. If past performance of that indicator is any measure, I suspect we will be in a recession by 2Q 2020.  Market typically begins its drop before the recession is formally declared. 

There's always a bear market somewhere, though. Right now it appears to be tobacco stocks and healthcare stocks with exposure to the opioid/medicare for all headlines. My buy list just gets bigger during recessions.

The best part about a recession is a few months in it gets hard to make a bad pick if you have any idea what a blue chip is.  We aren't anywhere near there yet.
Bought OXY. I know everyone hates it but with a 6.15% yield now I don't mind jumping in here and waiting it out. They did raise the dividend last month to .79
Also took a new position in SCHW.
I bought a small basket of gold and silver stocks this morning. I see 2000 for gold sometime this year and with a possible recession n the way and more rate cuts this sector should do well.

Also bought some PFE, SCHW and ABBV
(08-08-2019, 02:01 PM)stockguru Wrote: I bought a small basket of gold and silver stocks this morning. I see 2000 for gold sometime this year and with a possible recession n the way and more rate cuts this sector should do well.

Also bought some PFE, SCHW and ABBV

Nice adds today Guru. I like those names as well. I bought ABBV the other day. Half position. Will add more if it should reach $60 or so. PFE at these levels I think you will do well over time. Its a slow mover.

Which gold stocks did you purchase? You will do well in that sector.
Question: I don't remember who it was on here but I remember them buying THO back when it was $90 or so. Do you still own the name? I see its almost at a 3% yield now. Have you added since and what are you thoughts on this stock? A few years back this was a darling on wall street but has since plummeted.
Added to BP today.