Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Added to DIS and HON
Started a position in IP. PE, DIV and DIV safety look attractive. Sold an AUG covered call against the shares for a bit pd downside safety but I do intend to hold it longterm. Doubt it's bottomed yet.
Added a little more JNJ this morning.
(07-19-2019, 08:56 AM)divmenow Wrote: Added a little more JNJ this morning.

So did I.  Also sold a put at 130 and 135 lately.  It looks good enough down here for the long haul.
I like all the activity on JNJ. I would buy more but it is already my largest holding. Added some FIBK and CLX this morning.
It was my largest holding for 20 years. I lightened up when it was in the high 140s. I've sold a lot of puts and covered calls the past year and it has worked out very well. As long as you don't make a long-term bet against JNJ it's been hard to lose. I think fall may be a rough ride though. Attorneys, politicians and the media will keep a lid on the SP for some time IMO.
I decided to join the party as well lol. Bought some JNJ, NEM and CVX
(07-19-2019, 09:51 AM)fenders53 Wrote: It was my largest holding for 20 years.  I lightened up when it was in the high 140s.  I've sold a lot of puts and covered calls the past year and it has worked out very well.  As long as you don't make a long-term bet against JNJ it's been hard to lose.  I think fall may be a rough ride though.  Attorneys, politicians and the media will keep a lid on the SP for some time IMO.

I will happily add more to my holdings if the yield jumps over 3%
Also, added to UPS and WBA this morning.
(07-19-2019, 10:23 AM)Otter Wrote: Also, added to UPS and WBA this morning.

I think UPS is a great buy. Amazon is going to need them even more now with next day ship.
(07-19-2019, 10:20 AM)Otter Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 09:51 AM)fenders53 Wrote: It was my largest holding for 20 years.  I lightened up when it was in the high 140s.  I've sold a lot of puts and covered calls the past year and it has worked out very well.  As long as you don't make a long-term bet against JNJ it's been hard to lose.  I think fall may be a rough ride though.  Attorneys, politicians and the media will keep a lid on the SP for some time IMO.

I won't be surprised if you get your chance.  14,000 separate talc cases alone   Something has gotta give as that alone would clog up most of the higher courts in the US. I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but this could be messy for a good while.
(07-19-2019, 06:07 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 10:20 AM)Otter Wrote:

I won't be surprised if you get your chance.  14,000 separate talc cases alone   Something has gotta give as that alone would clog up most of the higher courts in the US.  I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but this could be messy for a good while.

They set up huge settlement facilities, a grid/points system is set up for claimants based on certain facts (such as dates of exposure, cumulative amount of exposure, medical conditions, medical outcomes, etc). The pot of money gets doled out according to a formula blessed by a master settlement agreement and a judge, and the whole thing gets administered by a third party like Kenneth Feinberg, with ministerial staff working under the administrator to process all the claims. Happens all the time. It’s how Vioxx got handled. MRK shareholders don’t even remember that anymore, sitting on record returns.