Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Added to T @33.50
Just curious what's up with T. Why folks were not adding it 6 months back when it was in 20ties?
(07-11-2019, 08:56 PM)vbin Wrote: Just curious what's up with T. Why folks were not adding it 6 months back when it was in 20ties?

That is a good question. I don't see anything that has changed since the $29.xx days.
T was an excellent buy then and I still think it's a decent buy now.
When T was that low (12/18) there were tons of opportunities that were much more rare than T and T was in a steady 2 year price decline. Much better IMO to buy upward trending stocks that tumbled.

At 30 the yield was like 6.8.

Today the yield at my price is 6.1, less but still very good.
I did buy T that low, but Mike is right. In DEC seems like were are about a hundred more blue chips that have run just as hard as T. We may be a little closer to 5G revenue, but the story hasn't changed much. Folks are just running out of ideas and circling back around to pick up some of the high yielders.
T is much better positioned now then it was 6 months ago. If you read the news you will see what they have been up too. They raised the dividend and its announcement with streaming plans with HBO Max. T can easily pass $40 this year and with the yield at 6% it represents great value. And the only reason the stock hit $29 back then was because the market was selling off. They were a lot of bargains at that time lol
(07-12-2019, 06:44 AM)stockguru Wrote: T is much better positioned now then it was 6 months ago. If you read the news you will see what they have been up too. They raised the dividend and its announcement with streaming plans with HBO Max. T can easily pass $40 this year and with the yield at 6% it represents great value. And the only reason the stock hit $29 back then was because the market was selling off. They were a lot of bargains at that time lol

A $0.01 raise on dividend, the streaming plans, sale of some assets (such as real estate) etc were at least on my radar at those $29.xx prices. I don't follow news that much (just what SA gives me) but I really haven't seen a single thing changing with T. 

I've owned T for a long time, personally I am a big fan of the TW trade. And I think T is a solid stock going forward but I'm not adding at these prices anymore. (not saying it's a bad add here though, I simply have enough of it already)
That's a rational view Crimson.  I own plenty of T also, and I am not bashing to entertain myself.  Execution still seems mediocre, and debt is still dangerously high.  It appears the FED is gonna buy them some time to right the ship.  I truly think we will be good enough in the end but this is not a top ten stock for me, even since DEC 18 low.  I continue to sell covered calls against most of my shares in an attempt to lessen my risk.
Added to JNJ just under $133 today. I buy every time on big down days like this. Also bought LLY in my sons account.

Also I do like T even at these levels. Something tells me it will outperform VZ next year. I just have that felling. Better things are coming. I have been very negative on the stock until about a month ago. And I'm happy to sit here and collect the 6% yield while I wait for things to approve. Entertainment is where the growth will be going forward and WarnerMedia is going to be a big money maker for them such shows as Dune, Batwomen and Katy Keen not to mention the deal they struck with Netflix.. Just because it was at $29 doesn't mean its not a good buy today. Its not like your chasing it here compared to 90% of the SP 500 stocks that are currently over valued lol
I definitely agree about the execution. That is something that has been wrong with T for a long time, they are stuck at getting things done up to "close enough" but can't seem to get it done right. I'm hoping firstnet and integration of TW will prove me wrong.

Personally not worried too much about the debt. They are paying it off (and being maybe a bit too aggressive. I don't like the idea of selling real estate and renting it back) and it'll be within manageable levels soon enough.

I wouldn't rate T as one of my favourite stocks either. But I can't help but smile when that dividend hits my account.

edit: Ohh and a good buy with JNJ. I saw the -4% this morning and thought that I might have to dig in my pocket over the weekend.
Finished building out my initial position in TD this morning. Took some leftover dividends and added a share of SKT in Robinhood commission-free. LOL.
Added to CFR for the first time in a long time this morning. Had been overvalued for a long time. Seems a hair undervalued now, but I always find it difficult to pull the buy trigger on a holding that is still way above my initial purchase price (original CFR purchase was around $60 in 2016 when the shale oil market went bust and regional banks making loans to oilfield services companies took a hit).

26 years of dividend increases, 3.1% yield, 5.4% 5yr DGR, 40% payout ratio, A- credit rating, and 10yr earnings growth rate of 7.4% made the choice for me, though.