Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
I'm not an economist, but I don't think there's a real reason for the market to be where it is. Trump bump in Nov 2016 based on no changes to any economic policy, and continued rising only based on decreased taxation and increased buybacks. Cheap money is drying up and little significant increase in profits so there's little reason for markets to continue to climb. It doesn't make sense to me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
On another note KHC getting very interesting to buy at this $51 level
Added to D this morning. Hit my limit of $69.15.
(11-01-2018, 01:09 PM)EricL Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 12:02 PM)stockguru Wrote: Finally bought my first utility today. Bought 100 D at $70.90. Sold my TSCO

Nice work. No idea what you paid for TSCO, but guessing you did pretty well on that trade!

I did very well. Bought TSCO at $59.80. 

Yesterday bought BAX, ABBV and added another utility today in XEL. Seems a lot of you like that name!
[quote pid='15465' dateline='1541167508']

I did very well. Bought TSCO at $59.80. 

Yesterday bought BAX, ABBV and added another utility today in XEL. Seems a lot of you like that name!
[/quote]

If you'll humor my old man stock story...........

XEL is my oldest equity holding.  It was called Northern States Power back then, and mostly a Minnesota utility.  How can you lose investing in the man that provides the heat during MN/Dakota winter?  That's not how it went for awhile. I took an intro position in the 1990s around $18 IIRC,  Around 2001 some bad events coincided.  XEL/NSP management screwed up some, a couple warm winters, and the stock market was still reeling from the 2000  crash.  The market acted like the power company was going out of business which I knew was false.  I was worried but purchased a lot more around $7.50 a share.  They have been solid every since and with dividend reinvestment over 20 years I got a 500% gain from a utility company!  That's good enough for low overall risk.  I always add to XEL when the yield hits 4%+ which isn't often anymore because they have been executing well enough for decades.  They are now investing in green energy like wind and natty gas over coal.  They understand the future political and environmental direction the US will take.  Utilities are a patience game.  They are very popular now because the market is scared.  The market is also fickle.  Rising interest rates will make other investments look attractive soon.  Don't get too exuberant and go all in except on dips.  There usually several dips per year and sometimes it makes no sense when it happens.  If/when short bonds easily yield 3%+ XEL will have to raise the dividend or an XEL buying opportunity will surely occur.  They are on the low end of their historical yield currently.
Just purchased 25 shares of AAPL
Anyone looking at food sector? I am tempted and fearful to add more KHC and GIS.
I sold a KHC strike 50 put today.  I already own a position in KHC.  When KHC runs a few bucks during the month I sell a call, when it dips I sell a put.  Both have expired worthless so far.  Some of the consumer durable dividends are very enticing but most of the stocks are historically overpriced even after a dip.  Only way I know to make income money while they sort it out, and I believe they will eventually.  Not a chance I am dabbling in a food stock that doesn't pay an above market dividend at these evaluations.  It's a bad bet IMO.
Took a new position in BP. I haven't bought this name in like 10 years lol. But i really like the company and what it's doing now. Well positioned for the future. Sold out of KSS. I'm limiting my exposer to retail.

On my buy list are some 52 week lows BMY, SLB, MET, SIX and KHC
Added more aapl, sold sbux
I bought 25 AAPL at $207.60. Wish I had bought under $200. My first purchase was at $222.20. So I wanted to lower my cost. Hope I made the right decision.
There haven't been too many bad times to buy APPL the last 20+ years. With a little patience I think you'll be happy. I tried to add some more early today but the limit price never hit. I did add a little HD today and finished my position for now. I think HD might get cheaper after earnings though.