Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Finally grabbed some shares of T yesterday on the dip. Still have some open puts out there so maybe my position will grow in a few weeks. Grabbed some XEL a few days ago when utilities were taking a temporary beating.
Hello Guys.... I've been away for a long time and finally decided to post a question on this forum.
I'm a Medtronic employee and have been taking part in their ESPP program (15% lower than market) and have opted into their DRIP program.
Over the years I've acquired about 788 shares of MDT with a decent Return.... But now that the stock has grown nicely, my Avg Cost Basis has also risen to almost $ 73.33.
Is it a good idea to keep investing in this or should I start focusing my cash in other stocks too
BTW, I do have some invested in MMM @ 197, IBM @ 109, STX @ 20.64 (which has given me the best returns till date) @ & BUD @ 87.96
I'm also invested in several Mutual Funds (mainly through my Investment Advisor (DIDI, FCPIX, FISMX, IVW, IVE, IJT, IYC) to get a diversified spread.

Any suggestions are welcome !!!
At 15% below market, I'd still keep investing in MDT. Is this in a retirement vehicle or past tax? If it is in a retirement plan, sell some of the older shares if you think that you are getting too overweight in MDT.
(10-03-2018, 01:33 PM)saimash Wrote: Hello Guys.... I've been away for a long time and finally decided to post a question on this forum.
I'm a Medtronic employee and have been taking part in their ESPP program (15% lower than market) and have opted into their DRIP program.
Over the years I've acquired about 788 shares of MDT with a decent Return.... But now that the stock has grown nicely, my Avg Cost Basis has also risen to almost $ 73.33.
Is it a good idea to keep investing in this or should I start focusing my cash in other stocks too
BTW, I do have some invested in MMM @ 197, IBM @ 109, STX @ 20.64 (which has given me the best returns till date) @  & BUD @ 87.96
I'm also invested in several Mutual Funds (mainly through my Investment Advisor (DIDI, FCPIX, FISMX, IVW, IVE, IJT, IYC) to get a diversified spread.

It would be hard to not invest in Medtronic at 15% off.  That said, diversification is good and you are fat in the same company you depend on for your paycheck.  I am sure there are vesting rules but do you have other options to transfer to within your company 401K?   If so, I would be scraping some profits into something non-medical.  Not suggesting you day or swing trade, but sector rotation happens several times a year, and there are a few times a year when a stock appears to be ahead of itself.  Maybe peel off 100 shares now and then, if you are allowed without losing your discount via penalty.  There are
bigger problems in this world than to be stuck with 788 shares of Medtronic but I like to be diversified.  If you have a couple million dollars in those mutual funds then just ignore me.  Smile
(10-03-2018, 04:22 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 01:33 PM)saimash Wrote: Hello Guys.... I've been away for a long time and finally decided to post a question on this forum.
BTW, I do have some invested in MMM @ 197, IBM @ 109, STX @ 20.64 (which has given me the best returns till date) @  & BUD @ 87.96

It would be hard to not invest in Medtronic at 15% off.  That said, diversification is good and you are fat in the same company you depend on for your paycheck.  I am sure there are vesting rules but do you have other options to transfer to within your company 401K?   If so, I would be scraping some profits into something non-medical.  Not suggesting you day or swing trade, but sector rotation happens several times a year, and there are a few times a year when a stock appears to be ahead of itself.  Maybe peel off 100 shares now and then, if you are allowed without losing your discount via penalty.  There are
bigger problems in this world than to be stuck with 788 shares of Medtronic but I like to be diversified.  If you have a couple million dollars in those mutual funds then just ignore me.  Smile
I actually bought MDT on Monday. I plan to add more soon. Great company!
(10-03-2018, 04:22 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions... I wish I had a couple million dollars in those mutual funds (Still got a long way to go to)  :-)
Added to T today below $34. It was trading in this range back at the beginning of 2012 when outlook was for slow growth. Since then, they've added DirecTV and Time-Warner (assuming it goes through). Growth catalysts are here and cash flow is there to support the dividend. I know debt is higher but it's still manageable. 6% yield to wait.
I am an Amazon shareholder finally! Bought one share when it "crashed" to $1900 Smile It's my only stock that does not pay a dividend and I have no intention of adding many more. I may pick up a few more shares this month and call it a position. AMZN is high on my list of investing regrets. I remember the IPO and how silly I thought it was to sell books online when there were so many great brick and mortar stores locally. A $500 purchase and I would be truly retired now.
Added AAL.
(10-09-2018, 10:06 AM)vbin Wrote: Added AAL.

Are they down due to bond prices or very expensive fuel the next year or so?  I haven't followed airline stocks lately.
AOS

ETN

and well...I plan on holding this stock till the day I die

AMZN
(10-09-2018, 12:12 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 10:06 AM)vbin Wrote: Added AAL.

Are they down due to bond prices or very expensive fuel the next year or so?  I haven't followed airline stocks lately.

Expensive fuel