Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(09-20-2018, 04:06 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-20-2018, 01:42 PM)Otter Wrote: Initiated a small position in INTC.

Very solid company since forever. Give it some patience and average in and I think you'll be pleased. They failed to execute the latest chips and AMD stole their lunch money this year. I owned INTC for a long time and it was usually the other way around. I am confident INTC will be back on top soon enough. They are on my buy list but the BIZ is cyclical so not likely pulling the trigger for awhile.

INTC will have to fix their production line to fix the issues for new chip manufacturing, it will take them 2-3 years to do that. AMD is going to eat up more of their data center business. I am watching it too. It can present a better price to enter.
(09-21-2018, 10:08 AM)vbin Wrote:

Very solid company since forever.  Give it some patience and average in and I think you'll be pleased.  They failed to execute the latest chips and AMD stole their lunch money this year.  I owned INTC for a long time and it was usually the other way around.  I am confident INTC will be back on top soon enough.  They are on my buy list but the BIZ is cyclical so not likely pulling the trigger for awhile.

INTC will have to fix their production line to fix the issues for new chip manufacturing, it will take them 2-3 years to do that. AMD is going to  eat up more of their data center business. I am watching it too. It can present a better price to enter.

I will slowly add on the way down if that's the case. Curious to see what happens when they declare the March, 2019 dividend.
Bought the $20 Jan 2020 put on THC. An overleveraged that I think will go down in price. This is a way I can short a stock and not lose everything that I own if I'm wrong.
(09-21-2018, 11:20 AM)Otter Wrote:
(09-21-2018, 10:08 AM)vbin Wrote:

Very solid company since forever.  Give it some patience and average in and I think you'll be pleased.  They failed to execute the latest chips and AMD stole their lunch money this year.  I owned INTC for a long time and it was usually the other way around.  I am confident INTC will be back on top soon enough.  They are on my buy list but the BIZ is cyclical so not likely pulling the trigger for awhile.

INTC will have to fix their production line to fix the issues for new chip manufacturing, it will take them 2-3 years to do that. AMD is going to  eat up more of their data center business. I am watching it too. It can present a better price to enter.

I will slowly add on the way down if that's the case. Curious to see what happens when they declare the March, 2019 dividend.

Average in SLOWLY and you will be fine. There will be a moment to go all in and wait for the up cycle. INTC is a fine company with sufficient resources to fix their problems. AMD put a whipping on them this year. The 800 pound gorilla is now embarrassed. You are only as good as the latest chip. They'll be back to recover some market share. I owned and followed INTC at least 20 years. Just wait until you get a market downturn and a chip or memory downcycle coincides. It can be really, really ugly. You'll want to sell out when you should be nibbling some shares. It's great INTC pays a DIV but it's NOT a mindlessly buy and hold forever DGI stock. If you don't gradually scrape profits when the cycle peaks you are a fool. You can often put it back in next year at 1/2 the share price or less. Seriously prepare yourself by looking back 20 years at INTC, AMD and MU charts. History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes. Then invest slowly and don't lose your nerve. It's the only way to own chip stocks. Just a completely different animal than JNJ or KO. I would never advise anyone to dump there JNJ just because it looks a little expensive. I sure didn't.

Lecture over but I lived this chip cycle thing and didn't follow my own advice the first 5 years because I didn't live it yet.
(09-21-2018, 11:28 AM)ChadR Wrote: Bought the $20 Jan 2020 put on THC. An overleveraged that I think will go down in price. This is a way I can short a stock and not lose everything that I own if I'm wrong.

Only responsible way to short a stock. You know your max loss up front. I've done it the other way and it only has to blow up in your face once to learn that hard lesson.
I decided to sell a few stock that have under performed over the last 5 years. So I used the proceeds to finally take a position in RSG and add to RTN and BA.
today i added to my KMI and MGA positions, with a new addition of KIM

not today but since my last post or so i added to XOM, RDS.B, MO, ABBV, CELG positions with a new addition of IRM
Bought BP today, and sold an at the money call in CVX to maybe up that position which has done well. I am weeks late adding to energy. Kicking KMI out of the stable very soon. Owned it over 5 years and it is way down. The fact it is not moving positively at all with a huge move in oil prices is my clue it's time to leave. We'll see if that is a good move or not soon enough. I was patient. I might be more patient had I purchased it at these prices. They lost me when they cut dividend when I needed it, while the stock was already way down.
(09-26-2018, 05:40 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Bought BP today, and sold an at the money call in CVX to maybe up that position which has done well.  I am weeks late adding to energy.  Kicking KMI out of the stable very soon.  Owned it over 5 years and it is way down.  The fact it is not moving positively at all with a huge move in oil prices is my clue it's time to leave.  We'll see if that is a good move or not soon enough.  I was patient.  I might be more patient had I purchased it at these prices.   They lost me when they cut dividend when I needed it, while the stock was already way down.

A call or put?
I took new positions in AOS and MDT. Family friend works for AOS. Great company!
Sold a CVX put Mike. Just one contract. Sorry for the typo. I've been stung hard getting too deep in oil stocks in the past. Just too cyclical to be a real DGI play. I'm scared of everything but the big players when oil prices move south. KMI and SDRL are my most recent bad ideas for a longterm hold. KMI was solid as a rock when I bought it and I lost 50%. Trust in what they say is blown. SDRL was total devastation. Got sucked into a yield trap with high debt. When a commodity sector runs and your stock doesn't, it usually means you don't have all the facts you wish you did. Selling the heck out of puts to establish long positions in all sectors in the end. For now I just collect premiums and have few long positions. And it's working amazing in this slightly upwards bias market. I am a genius for now. That will change someday if I get too bold. Smile

EDIT: Not my intent to scare anyone out of KMI as I know some here are now establishing positions. My basis is probably over $40 and I've been patient. I'll average back out should it rise some assuming oil prices stay more stable as predicted by many.
Started a small position in BKH. Looks to be fairly valued at the moment. Next dividend announcement should be an increase from the present 3.25% yield (5yr average is 4.1% for divvy raises).