Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(06-21-2018, 09:08 AM)divmenow Wrote: SBUX has no growth. 1% sales growth isn't going to cut it. Dividend means nothing if they stock keeps going down. The new CEO has now warned 3 straight quarters. Business is slowing and I have noticed stores in my area have been dead. No one is going to pay $5 for a Mocha Frappuccino any longer There's to much competition in this space. Stock still trades at a forward PE of 18.5. This stock will be in the mid $40's. Your safer just buying T

SBUX, Howard Schultz = GE, Jack Welch Greatness.
SBUX,Kevin Johnson = GE,Jeff Immelt. Disaster.

Differing opinions are what makes a market. Thanks for sharing your counter-point.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Anytime Eric lol. In a year from now we can revisit to see if SBUX is at $60 or $40 Wink

Good Luck
(06-21-2018, 09:08 AM)divmenow Wrote: SBUX has no growth. 1% sales growth isn't going to cut it. Dividend means nothing if they stock keeps going down. The new CEO has now warned 3 straight quarters. Business is slowing and I have noticed stores in my area have been dead. No one is going to pay $5 for a Mocha Frappuccino any longer There's to much competition in this space. Stock still trades at  a forward PE of 18.5. This stock will be in the mid $40's. Your safer just buying T

SBUX, Howard Schultz = GE, Jack Welch Greatness.
SBUX,Kevin Johnson = GE,Jeff Immelt. Disaster.

Absolutely agree with what Eric was saying regarding different opinions making a market.

I do think it's useful to give a more detailed narrative on my purchase though.

Starbucks remains an incredible cash generative company with a considerable economic moat derived from scale and branding. 

With $2.6bn in FCF generated in 2017, the company isn't going anywhere. 

Kill the brand as much as you like, it's still growing. Yes at a measly 1% but a company that generates a ton of FCF and has a global scale and brand is worth 18.5 p/e for me, even if it stops growing.

I'm really excited by the uptick in closures as this will increase efficiency. 

The have space to grow in China and India and this isn't being fully appreciated. Of course, they may fail to grow in these areas but, I ask myself, considering everything, is SBUX worth $52 a share? Even if it stops growing...?Absolutely. If it drops to $40 I'll be happy to buy more and so will management via the increased buyback plan.

It does confuse me that T would be considered a better stock though since it has a tougher path to growth, has  a much smaller moat around its business. On top of that it's massively leveraged. I do think they'll carry on growing the divi though.

Anyway just my two pence worth!

The market is always a crazy place so who knows where things will eventually end up.
Anybody buying any DGI companies lately?
Funny, regarding SBUX, I was actually going to purchase some more today....instead I cashed out of IBM and bought CELG in my brokerage account...SBUX came close but I don't oppose non-paying divi stocks in my brokerage account...In fact, my largest holding is MKL.
I am short SBUX this week.
Wow AMZN at it again. WBA, CAH, and CVS getting hit hard today!
(06-28-2018, 08:40 AM)divmenow Wrote: Wow AMZN at it again. WBA, CAH, and CVS getting hit hard today!

WBA yielding nearly 3% now after the 10% dividend increase and 10% drop in share price.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Bought some more BAC today. Any thoughts?
(06-28-2018, 08:51 AM)EricL Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 08:40 AM)divmenow Wrote: Wow AMZN at it again. WBA, CAH, and CVS getting hit hard today!

WBA yielding nearly 3% now after the 10% dividend increase and 10% drop in share price.

I'm long WBA/CVS/CAH and believe this may be a buying opportunity for the long term investor. I did well when I added to my KR position after AMZN bought WholePaycheck, I mean WholeFoods. Yea, I do like Wholefoods but only to a point, I can buy my favorite olive oil at $15 or I can buy the exact same olive oil at Giant for $9.....so.....a dollar saved is a dollar earned.

I also notice when shopping on Amazon that if you go to the actual website of that particular company that you might just find a better price, or check out TGT or WMT or COST..you get the picture. Sure, AMZN is a MONSTER but....they are not the "be all end all" of every industry they enter. If history has taught us anything is that if you pay attention, AMZN, can and does create buying opportunities in more ways then one.

Having said that....

earlier today I added to my GILD position
Bought some WBA
Bought some CVS and CCL