Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Eric, did you sell before the Keurig offer for DPS today? There's an ouch I didn't see coming.

I too initiated a position for my wife's portfolio in HRL a few weeks ago when it dipped to around $30 and added a little more a couple days ago in the low 30s. You're right, not a bargain but a fairer value than we've seen for a while. They'll get their troubles straightened out in a year or two. With their record and one of the lowest debt burdens of just about all the Consumer Staples sector, they have plenty of cushion. Besides, not having Skippy Natural peanut butter in our kitchen cabinet is cause for divorce so why not let them pay for it.

I've decided MKC , for me, is a buy during the next recession when they get spanked in a falling market (I hope). Until then, it sits on my wishlist. I just can't talk myself into paying 30x trailing on single-digit earnings growth no matter how consistent at my age.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

I sold DPS this afternoon, so it was up something like 24% on the day when I sold.

I have MKC at a 25.3 trailing PE and 22.2 forward according to FAST Graphs.

Not cheap, but not out of line considering the market and how other staples are priced. Analysts expect ~10% annual growth going forward too, so I figured it was a fair swap compared to what I was getting out of my old DPS.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
I used the rest of my DPS proceeds and bought CVX and PF. Does anyone even own PF on these boards lol
I've steered clear from PF due to the BB- credit rating.

It's done very well though!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Anyone interested in Realty Income (O) at these levels?
I decided to gamble a little. Bought Royal Dutch Shell today.

A smarter move may have been to wait until tomorrow when they release their q4 results. But I was bored so I figured that I might as well gamble. :p I have no idea where the stock will move tomorrow but I do have a feeling that it's a good buy for the long term, in the end I'll probably hold these for 10, 20, 30 or 40 years so it really doesn't make a big difference if I buy at 28, 29 or 30 euros.

And that's actually my February investment money gone though I might be able to squeeze in a buy or two next month with dividend and/or options income.
I like O at these levels. Over 5% dividend. Once I move some money to my IRA, I will be purchasing it. Just hope it doesn't shoot up in the next couple of days.
With a decent overall market correction underway, I'm trying to help a friend form a DGI portfolio. 56 years old, 9 years projected retirement date.

Trying to pull the best from as many sectors as possible, the stocks left standing thus far are:

Healthcare-CAH/ABBV

Utilities- AWK (only name w/o positive Tweed)

Tech- CSCO/TXN

Consumer goods- HD

Financials-PFG

Equal weighting starting yield 2.8%

All very good Chowder and Tweed numbers with DG averaging 15%

Thoughts, comments or additions for the remaining sectors are welcome.

TIA.
I would be very careful to call a 1% decline from all time highs a "decent overall market correction". We are literally at the same spot as we were 11 days ago. Big Grin

Are the amounts so small that 1 name per sector is all you want?
I'd also add an industrial somewhere in there. HON is my personal choice but we all have our own favourites from the bigger names.
All those are nice companies but non of them have corrected enough where I put new money in to them.

To me CSCO is the best buy as its still undervalued and has held up very well even in big down days.

I too like HON and have been adding over the last few days.

ABBV and HD I like as well and in 6 years will be a lot higher then they are now.

But like I said you may want to take a look at some of the names that have corrected over the last few weeks.

Buy CVX, HON and D. Those would be 3 names I would buy today! All raised their dividend and are trading at a discount to the market.
PG at a 52-week low.
I added to CVX and MSFT today!