Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(12-14-2017, 03:52 PM)Sunrise61 Wrote: I will be selling most of my stocks in January. With rising interest rates, the new tax laws that will affect the middle class, I can see the market correcting itself real soon. I may be wrong but my hunch I am right.

Certainly won't tell you what to do with your money, but I've been hearing people call for an imminent correction for 5 or 6 years now. Those who sold back in 2011/2012 because of fears of tax changes and government shutdowns missed out on a hell of a run.

Which is why I focus on the dividend income rather than my portfolio value. Really takes the worries away about what the market is doing, because up or down my dividend income keeps going up, up, up.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Sold out CVS
Sold a 1/3 of my LB position after a 38% gain in 1,5 months
Added some AMGN, SBUX and BABA
80 shares of T and 47 shares of CAH. This was from the proceeds of my GE sale and some expired put options.
I bought 100 MSFT, 50 MMM, and 100 D and sold some out of TGT after the big run it had. That was my first purchase of MMM stock ever. I have been waiting to get in and thought mine as well pull the trigger today lol
Buys for the month:
Initiated new positions in TD (from the toronto exchange) and Assa Abloy. (stockholm exchange)
Nice buy on TD. I own myself. I bought my last stock for 2017 lol. Added to PM today down $3. MO and PM are 2 of my top picks headed into 2018. On another note GIS looking good after earnings. All of a sudden those food stocks are strong. Boy was that AMZN and WFM news over blown. Which makes me think maybe CVS and WBA are good buys here as well.
CVS will be my last buy of 2017. Waiting for some $ to transfer to my account.
Picked up 14 shares of CVS for an initial purchase.
Initiated a position in $PFE today. Recently brought $GIS to a full position. Have been adding to $WEC

Sold ABC, GE, MDU.

Bought AWK, JNJ, MA, MMM, AND NEE.
Hey Eric. Curious. Why AWK? I love the stock but its had such a great run so far for a utility. Why not a stock like D or AEP instead which has come down in price? Love all your other buys. Huge fan of NEE
(12-28-2017, 04:09 PM)divmenow Wrote: Hey Eric. Curious. Why AWK? I love the stock but its had such a great run so far for a utility. Why not a stock like D or AEP instead which has come down in price? Love all your other buys. Huge fan of NEE

I've been watching AWK for a couple years and it is always overvalued, and I have always avoided buying it because of that. In the meantime it has gone up another 50%+ and had a couple more 10% dividend raises. I just decided I didn't want to watch it anymore and decided to make the plunge and add it to the portfolio.

It's currently on the low end of its 50-60% payout ratio target and has raised the dividend at a 10% annual rate over the last 5 years. I think there's a good chance that continues going forward. I like the business it operates in, and also think the corporate tax cut should benefit it as it currently has an effective tax rate of ~40%.

I considered AEP as well, but purchased NEE instead to go along with D, WEC and XEL as my utility holdings.