Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(04-28-2021, 01:49 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I used to own Seagate and Western Digital back in the day.  They reinvented themselves a few times since then. Do you remember Iomega?  They took the world by storm with great products and folded up tent a few years later.  Tech has never been easy.

BTW my first 1GB HDD was a Seagate and it cost $300 in 1996 dollars.  A friend of mine worked for the state and they paid $10k maybe 4-5yrs earlier.  How big is a picture file you can email in two seconds these days.  Smile

Hardware is a terrible business to be in, for the most part. The margins are terrible, for the most part.
Very tough. Seagate and WDC survival is amazing. Long list of major PC makers that went BK or now next to irrelevant. About half of the dominant component makers survived somehow. There is moat but it's shallow.
(04-28-2021, 07:41 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Nasdaq futures are negative, after all the good tech news so far.  Maybe, just maybe, I don't have a clue what the market's doing.
Looks like the Nas might close flat so call your daily prediction good enough.  Now hold on while AAPL reports.  Our chip stocks are nervous. Smile  As long as forward guidance is upbeat they'll be OK.
AAPL killed it. Who’s the bonehead who said that it was going way down lol. That was one hell of quarter. But I will say how can they keep that up going forward once we all go back norm. FB up big as well.
(04-28-2021, 03:36 PM)divmenow Wrote: AAPL killed it. Who’s the bonehead who said that it was going way down lol. That was one hell of quarter. But I will say how can they keep that up going forward once we all go back norm. FB up big as well.
That was a very good thing for tech.  They always beat but just OK would have scared my chips.  I have no clue what AAPL stock does but this will keep the market positive going into summer.
(04-28-2021, 03:42 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 03:36 PM)divmenow Wrote: AAPL killed it. Who’s the bonehead who said that it was going way down lol. That was one hell of quarter. But I will say how can they keep that up going forward once we all go back norm. FB up big as well.
That was a very good thing for tech.  They always beat but just OK would have scared my chips.  I have no clue what AAPL stock does but this will keep the market positive going into summer.

I agree, very good reports from GOOGL, AAPL, and FB along with solid numbers from MSFT means the rally should continue.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(02-25-2021, 10:25 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:00 AM)divmenow Wrote: Bought some LDOS. Between the earnings miss and short report I haven’t seen it this low in a while. So I said why not lol. You in on this one too Fenders ?
I haven't researched it.  Hadn't heard of it until you and Otter were discussing it last week.  I am trying to not add too many more new names.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Smile

What I need is for tech to get hammered for real again, but this market is resilient.

Very small trades this morning.  Added a few shares to DG-ARKF  Sold a few SLV puts.

(04-28-2021, 03:44 PM)EricL Wrote:

I agree, very good reports from GOOGL, AAPL, and FB along with solid numbers from MSFT means the rally should continue.

I knew all the techs were booming.  Mine just released Q1 results too: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/digital-t...00927.html.  Like IBM our cloud business is growing rapidly.
(04-28-2021, 04:24 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:00 AM)divmenow Wrote: Bought some LDOS. Between the earnings miss and short report I haven’t seen it this low in a while. So I said why not lol. You in on this one too Fenders ?
I haven't researched it.  Hadn't heard of it until you and Otter were discussing it last week.  I am trying to not add too many more new names.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Smile

What I need is for tech to get hammered for real again, but this market is resilient.

Very small trades this morning.  Added a few shares to DG-ARKF  Sold a few SLV puts.

I knew all the techs were booming.  Mine just released Q1 results too: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/digital-t...00927.html.  Like IBM our cloud business is growing rapidly.
Seems like tech is good.  Now we just have to figure out where people are going to spend money when they go outside to play starting now, and figure out how much of it is already baked into the share prices.  I keep reading the US GDP may have a couple +10% quarters.  That is HUGE and most ships will rise with the tide.  Not much in the market is cheap by any measure so it's tough to know where to put new money for best results.  Maybe they will keep dumping money at HD or AMZN, or maybe they spend it on something else for awhile?  That is my guess for at least a few months.  I know I'd like to go eat a few steaks at a restaurant, and catch a live baseball game.  A new bathroom vanity and another streaming service or home gym can wait six months.  We'll see where the nation's priorities lie next quarter.  I truly don't know.
(04-28-2021, 04:41 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 04:24 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

Seems like tech is good.  Now we just have to figure out where people are going to spend money when they go outside to play starting now, and figure out how much of it is already baked into the share prices.  I keep reading the US GDP may have a couple +10% quarters.  That is HUGE and most ships will rise with the tide.  Not much in the market is cheap by any measure so it's tough to know where to put new money for best results.  Maybe they will keep dumping money at HD or AMZN, or maybe they spend it on something else for awhile?  That is my guess for at least a few months.  I know I'd like to go eat a few steaks at a restaurant, and catch a live baseball game.  A new bathroom vanity and another streaming service or home gym can wait six months.  We'll see where the nation's priorities lie next quarter.  I truly don't know.

I’m a fan of Tom Keene on Bloomberg and the debate I hear is “transitory inflation” and supply chain readiness. The Auto and industrial seem to have missed in on the preparation of CPU’s, what happens to commodity futures? Is this a transitory “trading places scenario” or will prices be past along and go up? What commodity futures are people long on within the drip type stocks? Is there still value to be had? Ideas? How would one play Coffee? Or Natrual Gas?
Who's adding to BMY on the dip. Not me I need another 10% correction at least to get in.

I added a few more ENPH

TDOC on my watch list. Hoping for lower to get in maybe $150. Another Cathie Woods stinker lol. She's losing big on her purchases. Told you she was a scam lol.

NOW looking for $460-$475

Those are names I would own in my growth portfolio on larger dips. At least today is a start on the dips lol
(04-29-2021, 09:04 AM)stockguru Wrote: Who's adding to BMY on the dip. Not me I need another 10% correction at least to get in.

I added a few more ENPH

TDOC on my watch list. Hoping for lower to get in maybe $150. Another Cathie Woods stinker lol. She's losing big on her purchases. Told you she was a scam lol.

NOW looking for $460-$475

Those are names I would own in my growth portfolio on larger dips. At least today is a start on the dips lol

I actually bought TDOC right near the lows today. I has sold at $228 not that long ago, so happy to have had another chance to get back in.

NOW is a great company and I follow it daily. Just profit taken, but this is an opportunity to add shares today and tomorrow if it's down more  Big Grin

As you can see AAPL is barley up, and FB gave back a lot of the earlier gains. This is what I have been saying. With these stocks they have run up a lot heading into earnings. Yes they killed earnings. But the question is how much better can the story get once we are back to norm and these companies will have a slow down. 

I am not chasing stocks. You will get some good dips along the way. Patience is the key to wait it out  Big Grin

I did sell my entire position in MO today at $48 in the pre-market. I decided PM was the better choice and will hold that cash and use on dips to add to that position.
Not enjoying the recent trend of days starting strong and then the gains slowly ebb away until things end negative.