Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(03-16-2020, 11:45 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 11:32 AM)vbin Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 11:25 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 10:24 AM)vbin Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 10:16 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Pleased to see you two back in the long game.  You were right, now find some deals lol.  As vbin stated not long ago, there has to be some value somewhere. Smile
Lol, I would have done more buying this morning but my alarm dint go off, lol. I Could be wrong but I feel it ain't over so will get the opportunity again.

Yeah, it clearly isn't over, but it's hard to buy 50 stocks at once so I target the ones being overly beaten up any given day.  The panic seems to rotate.  We'll go lower almost certainly, but we are already at the point that it is will be hard to screw this up long-term if you buy quality.  If I pay 10% too much for a stock that is 40 or 50% off, it usually works out.
I have limit orders for Dal and ual at $25. I am optimistic that they will get filled.
DAL is about the only US airline with management smart enough to maintain a very solid balance sheet.  If they were in oil, they are XOM. If they fold, the US decided to not have an airline business and I highly doubt that outcome.  I'm in much higher and not selling though it may be painful.  The weak ones like AAL will pay for their excess debt very soon.  The industry may consolidate yet again.  It's no doubt going to get very ugly soon but US airlines are not going away IMO.
Totally agree with you.
Used the proceeds from last week's sale of OXY to add to my CVX position this morning at $75.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(03-16-2020, 11:48 AM)vbin Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 11:45 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 11:32 AM)vbin Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 11:25 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 10:24 AM)vbin Wrote: Lol, I would have done more buying this morning but my alarm dint go off, lol. I Could be wrong but I feel it ain't over so will get the opportunity again.

Yeah, it clearly isn't over, but it's hard to buy 50 stocks at once so I target the ones being overly beaten up any given day.  The panic seems to rotate.  We'll go lower almost certainly, but we are already at the point that it is will be hard to screw this up long-term if you buy quality.  If I pay 10% too much for a stock that is 40 or 50% off, it usually works out.
I have limit orders for Dal and ual at $25. I am optimistic that they will get filled.
DAL is about the only US airline with management smart enough to maintain a very solid balance sheet.  If they were in oil, they are XOM.  If they fold, the US decided to not have an airline business and I highly doubt that outcome.  I'm in much higher and not selling though it may be painful.  The weak ones like AAL will pay for their excess debt very soon.  The industry may consolidate yet again.  It's no doubt going to get very ugly soon but US airlines are not going away IMO.
Totally agree with you.
I'm sure most are sick of me spamming the forum by now. Smile

Apparent bargains are everywhere now and you just have to ask yourself....  Is this company realistically in danger of going away?  Is it an industry that can't fold?  Who survives if it gets worse than imaginable right now?  Fools are out there right now buying deeply discounted shaky companies that won't survive this.  Been there and it was very painful.  That is why I harp on best in industry until nobody wants to hear it anymore.  Smile  There is no need to buy junk.  It might be there later if they aren't facing BK.
Added to RDS.B this morning.
wow just added RTN under $133. If it goes to $125 will add a bit more
added to MMM, MSFT, NOC, and JNJ.
Added a bit to LOW and WSM
Rollled some more oil into RTN, LMT, ALE, MET and a few green energy ETFs I have a small position in for now.
This question is intentionally oversimplified. Some of you advise quite simply to buy quality companies. The market offers good businesses now and I assume we all have limited cash, so quality comes first (or maybe not...). However, what does quality mean for each one of you?
PE still not attractive enough for some companies. Would love jnj below 10 PE, lol.
Got OHI under $20. It may go lower but I'm happy with that entry.

Sold some of m,y GOLD after the pop today and added to RTN and LMT
(03-16-2020, 01:52 PM)Binary Wrote: This question is intentionally oversimplified. Some of you advise quite simply to buy quality companies. The market offers good businesses now and I assume we all have limited cash, so quality comes first (or maybe not...). However, what does quality mean for each one of you?
Quality is the ability to survive financial Armageddon and still be the industry leader when the dust settles.  You have to exhibit some restraint when the market will allow you to go too far in debt. It happens over and over when companies over-leverage.  

XOM is quality even though the market is absolutely horrible right now.  They've lived through this.  You might lose your dividend for awhile but you won't wake up next month and they are BK or the stock is two bucks.  OXY is junk by comparison

MSFT and CSCO are quality, though I rode out some tough years.   I've watched them dance on the graves of 50+ companies that challenged them.  They will buy you for pennies on the dollar or run you out of town when times get hard.  I've owned some of their competitors but unfortunately they are BK now.  I could type a dozen tickers that are delisted but once traded for big bucks

Delta Airlines has a great balance sheet  Their competitors will pray the government saves them  A BK bailout means they live on and your shares are worth zero.  See GM episode. 

You don't have to be an aristocrat to be "quality", but they all have a few things in common and the balance sheet always matters because they never know when the next financial virus is coming. Its rarely more than ten years away and investor memories are too short.