Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(03-16-2020, 09:35 AM)Kerim Wrote: Yeah, it is crazy. But maybe not unreasonable when you consider just how much retail / individual economic activity all across the planet is grinding to a complete halt, probably for months at least. This is definitely new territory in my lifetime. The hard question is how much to pounce now versus waiting for even better opportunities.

True and that's the million dollar question. But just imagine all the people who bought near the highs. We now have a chance to buy 30% off lol. I cant time the market but i also don't want to sit on the sidelines wishing i had bought. In 3-5 years these will all look like bargains. Hopefully lol  Undecided Big Grin
(03-16-2020, 09:35 AM)Kerim Wrote: Yeah, it is crazy. But maybe not unreasonable when you consider just how much retail / individual economic activity all across the planet is grinding to a complete halt, probably for months at least. This is definitely new territory in my lifetime. The hard question is how much to pounce now versus waiting for even better opportunities.

Sounds like market timing the bottom Kerim.  Just nibble in while you are scared.  You've been through this before.  Just buy quality.
I took some cash and made some purchases today.

New position in LDOS

Added to ADP, DEO, JPM, and LMT
Added some BKR( CFO buying too). Bought back some JNJ at $125 after selling on Friday. Added some WFC to average down.
Pleased to see you two back in the long game.  You were right, now find some deals lol.  As vbin stated not long ago, there has to be some value somewhere. Smile
(03-16-2020, 10:16 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Pleased to see you two back in the long game.  You were right, now find some deals lol.  As vbin stated not long ago, there has to be some value somewhere. Smile
Lol, I would have done more buying this morning but my alarm dint go off, lol. I Could be wrong but I feel it ain't over so will get the opportunity again.
(03-16-2020, 10:16 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Pleased to see you two back in the long game.  You were right, now find some deals lol.  As vbin stated not long ago, there has to be some value somewhere. Smile

I don't think SPY has bottomed, but I don't think I will regret any of those five purchases in five years. Some quality is attractively priced, using TTM P/E ratios. Market likes to overshoot to the downside in a panic, but the quality names will recover fastest.
(03-16-2020, 10:24 AM)vbin Wrote:
Lol, I would have done more buying this morning but my alarm dint go off, lol. I Could be wrong but I feel it ain't over so will get the opportunity again.

Yeah, it clearly isn't over, but it's hard to buy 50 stocks at once so I target the ones being overly beaten up any given day.  The panic seems to rotate.  We'll go lower almost certainly, but we are already at the point that it is will be hard to screw this up long-term if you buy quality.  If I pay 10% too much for a stock that is 40 or 50% off, it usually works out.
(03-16-2020, 10:26 AM)Otter Wrote:

I don't think SPY has bottomed, but I don't think I will regret any of those five purchases in five years. Some quality is attractively priced, using TTM P/E ratios. Market likes to overshoot to the downside in a panic, but the quality names will recover fastest.

I wonlt pretend to know where the SPY bottom is. It will be before the the virus dark clouds part though. It always anticipates. Weeks away I would guess. Absolutely agree on the quality.  It always works out in times like these.  When the optimism returns, they won't be bottom fishing.  My junk will still be junk. We buy stocks with fleas when we don't see a better option due to excess valuation.  As vbin said the market may not be panicking, but reacting to reality.  But the baby still gets thrown out with the bath water.  The market does not discern in a deep draw down.  Sector ETF dumps play a big part in this IMO.
(03-16-2020, 11:25 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

Yeah, it clearly isn't over, but it's hard to buy 50 stocks at once so I target the ones being overly beaten up any given day.  The panic seems to rotate.  We'll go lower almost certainly, but we are already at the point that it is will be hard to screw this up long-term if you buy quality.  If I pay 10% too much for a stock that is 40 or 50% off, it usually works out.
I have limit orders for Dal and ual at $25. I am optimistic that they will get filled.
(03-16-2020, 11:32 AM)vbin Wrote:

I have limit orders for Dal and ual at $25. I am optimistic that they will get filled.
That’s still too high on DAL. Lower it to $20  Big Grin
(03-16-2020, 11:32 AM)vbin Wrote:

DAL is about the only US airline with management smart enough to maintain a very solid balance sheet.  If they were in oil, they are XOM. If they fold, the US decided to not have an airline business and I highly doubt that outcome.  I'm in much higher and not selling though it may be painful.  The weak ones like AAL will pay for their excess debt very soon.  The industry may consolidate yet again.  It's no doubt going to get very ugly soon but US airlines are not going away IMO.