Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(12-28-2019, 03:40 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Not familiar with CODI.  What's the investment thesis?
  • Experienced acquirer, owner and manager of branded consumer and niche industrial businesses

• Diversified and strong cash flows from leading middle market businesses with defensible market positions

• Consistent and attractive distributions to shareholders

They own names in there portfolio such as 5.11, Liberty Safe, Advanced Circuits and Velocity Outdoors which I know a lot about and they are a big money makers. They use to own American Furniture and Staffmark which they sold off. 

This company reminds me a lot of The Jarden Company which I owned for many years and did great with.
(12-28-2019, 01:53 PM)kblake Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 03:40 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Not familiar with CODI.  What's the investment thesis?
  • Experienced acquirer, owner and manager of branded consumer and niche industrial businesses

• Diversified and strong cash flows from leading middle market businesses with defensible market positions

• Consistent and attractive distributions to shareholders

They own names in there portfolio such as 5.11, Liberty Safe, Advanced Circuits and Velocity Outdoors which I know a lot about and they are a big money makers. They use to own American Furniture and Staffmark which they sold off. 

This company reminds me a lot of The Jarden Company which I owned for many years and did great with.
Thanks, before I even got to your last line I was thinking Jarden and Newell at the retail level.  It can really be tricky, but decent management usually survives the down cycles.  IMO they are trades though.  You gotta buy low at not get greedy because they'll hit a speed bump at some point with so many acquisitions and spin offs.  I've made money on NWL several times since the 90s, and I'm not so sure the current SP is any higher than it was the first time I purchased it over 25 years ago.  It may not be a good DGI stock lol.
added to xom
Started initial positions with CVS and ADP
Sold XOM puts expiring Feb first week. Strike price 65
added to MSFT, V, CODI and MO before the new year
Added to CSCO for final purchase of the year.
same added CSCO
Ended 2019 with purchases of CNP and SKT. Started 2020 with some F.
more PEP
Nibbled some CBRL this morning. Half position in WELL.
Added a little CAH