Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Thanks, sounds like I better be patient. That's an extremely high PB but I don't know it's history for that metric. My research on LMT is thin so far. I've been watching BA, but I'll wait for the dust to settle on that one.
(08-19-2019, 01:26 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Any current thoughts on LMT?  It's on my list and waiting for a small pullback to initiate a position.  I own no defense contractors outside of mutuals and ETFs.

I'd highly recommend picking up a defense contractor or two. The current geopolitical climate is one where they have done well and should continue doing well for the foreseeable future. If you look at their book to bill ratios, you'll see that most (at least the ones I'm looking at) are above 1.00 so the demand is certainly there. Most of them have had a nice run up these past few years but the P/E ratios aren't sky high, dividends can be quite low though. 

It's always a challenge to pick the right one but I'd say any of the large players should be a decent investment going forward, there is a lot of cooperation between them too on the larger projects so while your company might not be picked as the main contractor for a certain project, they will still probably see some revenue streams from it. 

My guess for the hot stuff of the next few years in the sector: communications, electronic warfare, cyber security, hypersonics, optics&sensors, anything space related (mainly commercial side) and of course classified.
LMT is a great company, I opened a small new position a few months ago slightly below 3% yield, and even then it seemed like a more or less fair, but rather little overvalued purchase. The current yield of 2.3-2.4% is very close to the historical low yield area, I will not add more until the yield is above 3-3.2% again. Yes, it needs a big correction to happen Smile On a side note: a dividend raise is about to be announced is September.
(08-20-2019, 01:09 AM)Binary Wrote: LMT is a great company, I opened a small new position a few months ago slightly below 3% yield, and even then it seemed like a more or less fair, but rather little overvalued purchase. The current yield of 2.3-2.4% is very close to the historical low yield area, I will not add more until the yield is above 3-3.2% again. Yes, it needs a big correction to happen Smile On a side note:  a dividend raise is about to be announced is September.

I'll watch my mail for the next 10% off sales flyer.  Who knows, maybe a Labor Day or a Halloween sale?  Smile  I've been busy hoarding Pharma, now on to the next sector.  Overpaying for a low dividend is a non-starter for a mature company like LMT.  Always ends mediocre at best.
(08-20-2019, 02:55 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 01:09 AM)Binary Wrote: LMT is a great company, I opened a small new position a few months ago slightly below 3% yield, and even then it seemed like a more or less fair, but rather little overvalued purchase. The current yield of 2.3-2.4% is very close to the historical low yield area, I will not add more until the yield is above 3-3.2% again. Yes, it needs a big correction to happen Smile On a side note:  a dividend raise is about to be announced is September.

I'll watch my mail for the next 10% off sales flyer.  Who knows, maybe a Labor Day or a Halloween sale?  Smile  I've been busy hoarding Pharma, now on to the next sector.  Overpaying for a low dividend is a non-starter for a mature company like LMT.  Always ends mediocre at best.

Last major selloff was during Christmas, so who knows, you may be right Smile
Doubled my SPG position today
New position in IRM today with a 7% yield. I like the Data reits especially with interest rates going lower. I also own DLR and that has been a good one for me.
Added a little more ADM this afternoon.
Added to AFL, CMI and MAA
Engaged in some tax loss harvesting on a portion of my XOM holding, to offset gains from sales of LLY earlier this year. Reallocated the proceeds among:

AMCR, BTI, ENB, F, IBM, PFE, PPL, and PRU.

Overall dividend income went up by a tiny amount (0.4%). No longer have any single holding generating more than 5% of total portfolio income.
What do you all think of BEN?

Yield at 3.8% now and PE of 10. Looks cheap

Also on another note: Do you realize this site is not secure? Its still running on http. Shouldn't it be https???
(08-21-2019, 11:03 AM)stockguru Wrote: What do you all think of BEN?

Yield at 3.8% now and PE of 10. Looks cheap

Also on another note: Do you realize this site is not secure? Its still running on http. Shouldn't it be https???

Long history of dividend raises, but they have been facing a long-term decline of assets under management as market participants continue to switch from actively managed funds to passive index ETFs. There's also a lot of pricing pressure at the moment on the fees they can charge. In this space, I'm happy with my TROW holding, which manages to execute consistently on the earnings side.