Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Reinvested some pooled dividends into ENB and SKT this morning.

Edited to add - also added to OZK.
Added to ABBV and HBAN.
Sold out of CWST this morning at $43.60. Held since 2016 at $8.

Bought KTOS, AFL and PFE with the proceeds.

I have been waiting for KTOS to come down. This is one of those defense contractors i see trading at much higher levels in 2 years. Doesn't pay a dividend but like the sector its in.
First purchase of SPG
K is up big today. I don’t own it.

My questing is KHC looks to be breaking out here. Looks like $40
is in the way. Anyone own the name or have any thoughts? Lower
interest rates should help.
(08-01-2019, 11:56 AM)stockguru Wrote: K is up big today. I don’t own it.

KHC is a consumer staples company is currently losing money, recently cut the dividend, does not have an investment-grade credit rating, and forecasts relatively flat/modest earnings for the next couple years. I sold out at $34.61 in February, after they announced the dividend cut. Maybe they can find a way to sell their name brands for a substantial premium over private label brands that are discounted by 30-40%. I haven't seen a meaningful reversal in the trend of such competition eating into their pricing power. Maybe it is on the rebound, but I'm not much of a turnaround story investor.
We had a good day going until Trump tweeted about China and tariffs. It was his way of getting back yesterday since he didn’t get his way regarding rate cuts.
(08-01-2019, 11:56 AM)stockguru Wrote: K is up big today. I don’t own it.

What Otter said about KHC.  It does appear to have bottomed but you have better options.  I kept my last 100 shares.  I;m here now and the dividend is OK.  I sell a call against it every month and someday I'll be gone when it rebounds a little.  I know KHC looks fairly cheap but it's still risky.
Bought some WFC for the first time
Added ABBV.
(08-01-2019, 01:04 PM)stockguru Wrote: We had a good day going until Trump tweeted about China and tariffs. It was his way of getting back yesterday since he didn’t get his way regarding rate cuts.

It's the reason why he wanted a big rate cut.  He knows China is not going to lie down, and more tariffs were coming.  We have to play the financial drama cards we are dealt.  This tweet game is getting predictable and fairly easy to trade for an aceptable return.  That's not for everyone as it takes a lot of time.  It's good for long-term investing as well, but it requires extreme patience.  There WILL be some buying opportunities.  You always have to keep some dry powder after a decent run because we can't know if we a big correction comes in 3 days or six months.  It's just not any fun if you put yourself in a position where you can't take advantage of buying ops.  I learned that lesson more than once.
Shades of 2013's taper tantrum. This is just the market having a sad that the Fed hasn't announced more and bigger rate cuts.

Could be a different story if the tweeted tariffs actually go into effect, but we shall see on that point.