Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Added to ADM and WFC
Added to CM
What's the attraction to WFC? So many other big banks that seem to be cheap enough but don't have WFC "issues". I see a lot of you are starting or adding to WFC lately and that is why I ask.

Sold a $150 BABA put yesterday. $300+ plus premium so a 147 entry if it happens. A reverse spin on "avoid US stocks with China exposure". BABA is not overly affected by a loss of US revenue, and I have no other foreign stocks in the port at this time.
(05-24-2019, 08:48 AM)fenders53 Wrote: What's the attraction to WFC?  So many other big banks that seem to be cheap enough but don't have WFC "issues".  I see a lot of you are starting or adding to WFC lately and that is why I ask.  

To me it is primarily to average down the cost of shares already own. Also, even with my yesterday's purchase, WFC represents very small portion of my portfolio (0.5%). Nice dividend helps in the mean time.
@fenders

I sold something for you! Actually, no...but I did sell today....I sold my Kontoor (ktb) and bought more MO

the reason is nothing more then I just don't feel like doing my due diligence on ktb in order to justify adding more shares
(05-24-2019, 08:48 AM)fenders53 Wrote: What's the attraction to WFC? So many other big banks that seem to be cheap enough but don't have WFC "issues". I see a lot of you are starting or adding to WFC lately and that is why I ask.

Sold a $150 BABA put yesterday. $300+ plus premium so a 147 entry if it happens. A reverse spin on "avoid US stocks with China exposure". BABA is not overly affected by a loss of US revenue, and I have no other foreign stocks in the port at this time.
Dollar cost averaging and it's yeilding 4%. Numbers are comparable to other few banks I have been looking at and they all are yielding < 3% as if now. It's one of the biggest lander where I live and they are pretty strict in landing atleast in this area( I have been hearing stories where banks have been landing loosely in certain parts, not comparable to 2008 crisis but compared to where I live).

WFC past issues aren't a concern to me right now. They have been running agressive campaigns to get high value individuals.

What banks you have in mind ?
I was just curious.  JPM and BAC are the only banks I follow much.  MET is my only largish financial position.  I have small positions in a couple loan shark mutual funds.  I owned WFC decades ago.  They got into some shenanigans and the stock was flat for a long time.  They just aren't on my watch list.  The yield does sound good though.
I'm not a huge fan of WFC as well. When a bank has to give away free money to bring in new costumers that's never a good sign. And when a bank cant be trusted, Wall Street will always see them as crooked. There are just too many other banks I would own over this one like BAC, TD, MTB, JPM and PNC to name a few. The WFC yield isn't worth the hassle. But that's just me.
(05-25-2019, 11:30 AM)divmenow Wrote: I'm not a huge fan of WFC as well. When a bank has to give away free money to bring in new costumers that's never a good sign. And when a bank cant be trusted, Wall Street will always see them as crooked. There are just too many other banks I would own over this one like BAC, TD, MTB, JPM and PNC to name a few. The WFC yield isn't worth the hassle. But that's just me.
Giving away money comes down to new customer cquisition cost for a $500k annual account for the bank. If the cost is $1000 and giving away $500 bonus brings them a $500k annual account with direct deposit for next few years that might not be as bad.

I am okay holding them for next 10-15 years as long as they don't cut the div. If they have another issue come up(not too serious issue) and price fall, I might buy more.
I just had to buy more MO here!
Added to LEG this morning.
Bought some UPS