Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(02-12-2019, 01:20 AM)vbin Wrote: Added a little WFC, and started a small position again in DVA.
Sold FB.

Why did you sell FB?
Absolutely horrible report from OHI, I sold everything at $37. I admit this was a bit of a panic move and in that case the "sell" button is usually hit at the bottom. Big Grin

But overall, I'm quite happy. My average cost was around $31.50 and I've gathered quite a bit of dividends along the way. Now time to figure out how to deploy these into something a bit more safer than a REIT who's clients are too broke to pay rent.
You guys still sticking with GILD? I know a lot of you own it.
(02-12-2019, 09:52 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Absolutely horrible report from OHI, I sold everything at $37. I admit this was a bit of a panic move and in that case the "sell" button is usually hit at the bottom. Big Grin

But overall, I'm quite happy. My average cost was around $31.50 and I've gathered quite a bit of dividends along the way. Now time to figure out how to deploy these into something a bit more safer than a REIT who's clients are too broke to pay rent.

Well. 2/3 of the proceeds went straight back in.
HON, NVU-un.to and CM.to
I have about 20 sold puts and calls expiring Friday. I'll spare you the details but about 85% expiring worthless again this month so income in the bank. Had to roll BAC, MO and APPL forward as I missed on my timing considerably. Same thing happened with D last month and now all is very well. Selling option time has been my friend over and over. It takes some time to monitor it though for sure with so many positions.

I'm having trouble finding stocks to go long in yet again so building some cash. We'll have to see if the market pulls back. Very few quality stocks look cheap to me now. DEC seems like a year ago already.
Given current market, I want to take money off the table from volatile stocks whenever there is an opportunity. FB will provide another opportunity to enter again

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
(02-12-2019, 09:52 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Absolutely horrible report from OHI, I sold everything at $37. I admit this was a bit of a panic move and in that case the "sell" button is usually hit at the bottom. Big Grin

Sold out of my last bit of OHI in October for $32.22/share. Missed a bit of the run-up prior to the recent abysmal earnings report/AFFO numbers, but do not regret it at all. It was by far the riskiest substantial holding in my portfolio.
(02-12-2019, 11:35 AM)vbin Wrote: Given current market, I want to take money off the table from volatile stocks whenever there is an opportunity. FB will provide another opportunity to enter again

I have done this in my 401k, which is 90% ultrashort bond fund at the moment. The DGI stuff in taxable accounts I just allow to keep doing their thing.
My 401ks, HSA, are on auto pilot for a mix of funds(stocks and bonds) and cash. It was was all going to stock funds before early 2018 when I got skeptical and made the adjustments. If and when there is correction, I will be dumping that cash into stock funds and again go on cruise control.

(02-12-2019, 11:42 AM)Otter Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 11:35 AM)vbin Wrote: Given current market, I want to take money off the table from volatile stocks whenever there is an opportunity. FB will provide another opportunity to enter again

I have done this in my 401k, which is 90% ultrashort bond fund at the moment. The DGI stuff in taxable accounts I just allow to keep doing their thing.

Vanguard ultra-short bond fund is where I have been hiding my Div and options selling premiums.  Money I may choose to use in 2022-23.  The fund's yield is pretty much a given but I sure never expected the share price to rise like it has lately.  My very high div stocks are flying too.  The market may be running but people are scared IMO.
(02-12-2019, 11:58 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

Vanguard ultra-short bond fund is where I have been hiding my Div and options selling premiums.  Money I may choose to use in 2022-23.  The fund's yield is pretty much a given but I sure never expected the share price to rise like it has lately.  My very high div stocks are flying too.  The market may be running but people are scared IMO.

I went heavy into the ultrashort funds at the end of last August. Just saw this article on SA:

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3432192-in...-bear-baml

Love the bullet-point for "contrarian buy signal." Gotta reel in the retail suckers for the blowoff top. However high that top may be, I can't see the risk/reward being anywhere close to 2009-2017 gains for whatever remaining time there is in this historically long bull market. Happy to leave my 401k assets in cash equivalents on the sideline and find a better buy-in point than S&P 500 P/E and Shiller P/E ratios that are near historic highs.
(02-12-2019, 12:23 PM)Otter Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 11:58 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

I went heavy into the ultrashort funds at the end of last August. Just saw this article on SA:

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3432192-in...-bear-baml

Love the bullet-point for "contrarian buy signal." Gotta reel in the retail suckers for the blowoff top. However high that top may be, I can't see the risk/reward being anywhere close to 2009-2017 gains for whatever remaining time there is in this historically long bull market. Happy to leave my 401k assets in cash equivalents on the sideline and find a better buy-in point than S&P 500 P/E and Shiller P/E ratios that are near historic highs.
Yeah , who knows how high it goes.  If I was 25yrs old I wouldn't care and that served me very well.  A young person should keep a little cash on hand so he can buy the inevitable deals though.  This market could run 50% more, but I doubt it, and not willing to wait ten years to break even on stocks purchased now at clearly high valuations.  Not buying much until the market pulls back some.  If that is next month then great.  There are stocks out there in the buy range now, but the list is very short.  It seems obvious that politics and the world economy will keep the market volatile enough to find some buys while we wait IMO.