Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Added MCD-HD and my daily share of AMZN this morning.  I don't find them particularly undervalued now, but they are blue chips on a dip, recent analyst upgrades and/or dividend increases, with safe earnings coming IMO.
I added some MCD, UTX and ORI
Closed out a position in OHI for a modest gain. Took the proceeds and added to my stake in KMB.
Not a dividend stock, but I bought some shares of SQ in my trading account this morning.

~30% off its recent all-time high.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Curious to know why you let go of OHI at this point? I'm aware of the issues they have but now that people are starting to panic again I think a high yielding healthcare REIT is not a bad place to keep some money in.

I'm horrible at timing but so far this seems ok. At the open I bought RTN puts @ 190 for next week's Friday. Purely a protective play, let's see how it goes.
I'll probably do half of my monthly buys on Monday and the other half later on depending on where the market seems to be heading.
(10-12-2018, 11:53 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Curious to know why you let go of OHI at this point? I'm aware of the issues they have but now that people are starting to panic again I think a high yielding healthcare REIT is not a bad place to keep some money in.

I'm horrible at timing but so far this seems ok. At the open I bought RTN puts  @ 190 for next week's Friday. Purely a protective play, let's see how it goes.
I'll probably do half of my monthly buys on Monday and the other half later on depending on where the market seems to be heading.

I had a modest long-term gain on my holding, which goes back to 2016. They paid me a nice dividend during that time period, which I invested into a number of other holdings. My overall portfolio weight in the REIT sector was slightly higher than I wanted (already own O, NNN, FRT, SKT, WPC). Credit rating is BBB- (I typically want BBB+ or better when making a purchase). FFO and FAD guidance were recently adjusted downwards by OHI, with FAD now at at an estimated range of $2.67-$2.74 per share. This guidance leaves almost no margin for error for a company paying a $2.64 annual dividend, and with current forecast growth prospects essentially flat. I do not view the OHI dividend as having a high margin of safety or any meaningful near-term growth prospects.

On the other hand, KMB has a 46-year history of dividend raises, is trading near the top-end of its historical yield range, has an A credit rating, has averaged roughly 6.5% annual dividend growth over a 5 and 10-year period, and its 80% payout ratio, whilst not exceptional (I typically like below 75%), is fine for a boring consumer staples company with steady cash flows that have grown consistently over the long term (despite year-to-year variation). KMB is a SWAN, OHI is not. I'm okay with trading a bit of  yield for consistency and stability.
(10-12-2018, 11:51 AM)EricL Wrote: Not a dividend stock, but I bought some shares of SQ in my trading account this morning.

Only non-divvy stock I own. Started my position at $35. Increased my stake by 20% yesterday when it dipped into the $66.50 range. This is the one "I have a gut feeling" stock I allow myself to purchase, which doesn't pay me quarterly to hold on. Truly think that in a couple decades, could look back on it as being an AMZN or AAPL growth story. Could also be wrong. Not a huge overall component of my present portfolio, but it could be down the road if it continues to go beast mode with the growth.
(10-12-2018, 12:16 PM)Otter Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 11:51 AM)EricL Wrote: Not a dividend stock, but I bought some shares of SQ in my trading account this morning.

Only non-divvy stock I own. Started my position at $35. Increased my stake by 20% yesterday when it dipped into the $66.50 range. This is the one "I have a gut feeling" stock I allow myself to purchase, which doesn't pay me quarterly to hold on. Truly think that in a couple decades, could look back on it as being an AMZN or AAPL growth story. Could also be wrong. Not a huge overall component of my present portfolio, but it could be down the road if it continues to go beast mode with the growth.

I agree. We've been buying it in our investment club since around $30. This is my first purchase in an individual account.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Slow day but the market is still open so who knows how it ends.  Smile

Purchased my daily one share of Amazon.   I know that sounds silly but I would be sad if I went all in days ago.  This is the first time I have dollar cost averaged daily. I'm pretty sure that's not what the term means lol. 

Adding a little here and there to my Vanguard mutuals and ETFs that are dividend oriented.  Sold a few more puts in JNJ and ABT today.  Next week may be exciting as I navigate a LOT of put contracts that have dropped to near or in the money.  Need to decide which ones to allow to execute and which to roll forward a month for a better entry price.  Pretty soon and I will have most of my port in long positions.  I still very much recommend entering larger positions with puts, but it's exhausting to track when the market gets like this.

Funny, I remember right after the IPO I was like this SQ is going to be a huge contributor...Before I even knew what it was I seen their product in use at this hipster diner we use to go to for breakfast.

I can't bring myself to buy it though, I don't know why--focusing on other investments.

My non-dividend paying stocks so far are AMZN, BRK.B, MKL and CELG....and a very very small position in SHOP that I bought way back. The other 4 companies are actually in my top ten holdings even though I favor DGI'ing.