Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
I still feel that cigarettes are going out of favor. It might take time but it's happening, in fact it has already happened in most parts of Europe. There are still people who smoke but significantly less than before. Add the fact that cigarettes are getting more expensive constantly (due to taxes) and smoking is banned in more and more places. If the trend is even slightly similar in other parts of the world then it's going to be a tough time. Of course MO has other revenue streams but are they enough? (I haven't really looked into MO much)

We had this discussion around PM maybe 3 years ago, it was related to me selling my whole stake in PM. As I recall, I sold a day before earnings and they jumped 5% the following day so talk about good timing. Big Grin But selling price was $80+ so I guess it wasn't such a bad move afterall.
There is a price where MO is a smart buy from an investing standpoint.  Clearly it wasn't at $55-75. No amount of dividend justifies paying way too much.  We'll just have to see where the bottom is.  I may be selling covered calls and collecting dividends for years to break even.  I sure hope not.  

This forum made me purchase MO.  That's the only thing I am sure of at this point lol.
ABBV has become a real dud. Down $4 pre-market. One of those stocks that just can’t seem to get things right even with all dividend increases.
(01-25-2019, 09:26 AM)stockguru Wrote: ABBV has become a real dud. Down $4 pre-market. One of those stocks that just can’t seem to get things right even with all dividend increases.

Just give it time. They are consistently profitable, have a fat yield, and grow the dividend regularly. I've noticed a lot of short-term price volatility with ABBV, usually related to analysts rehashing Humira/Humira biosimilar stories on a regular basis. Overall happy with the holding, considering initial purchase was in 2016 at $61.11

In the pharma space, I like to be pretty diversified. They all take turns seeing their pipelines dwindle, paying too much for acquisitions to fill the pipeline, and releasing drugs that kill or cripple people, all of which can make any given pharma company's stock pretty volatile in the short-run. Holding a basket of ABBV, AMGN, JNJ, LLY, MRK, PFE, SNY keeps me from caring too much when one of them gets volatile.
(01-25-2019, 09:26 AM)stockguru Wrote: ABBV has become a real dud. Down $4 pre-market. One of those stocks that just can’t seem to get things right even with all dividend increases.
ABBV is regarded by many as a one drug pony as the patent expiration approaches.  That may be true to some extent, for now.  It's a solid company that will reward you over time.  All pharma companies go through phases like this.  I started a one stock Roth IRA for my wife about 1998.  My wife is a nurse and selected PFE.  It's an extreme example as the recovery took forever, but bailing in frustration before it finally ran wouldn't have been a good idea either.  I did that stupid trick with MSFT.  

Hope this was encouraging because that was my intent.
added to MO, V, JNJ, and XOM today, just pooled dividends.
(01-25-2019, 10:23 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
ABBV is regarded by many as a one drug pony as the patent expiration approaches.  That may be true to some extent, for now.  It's a solid company that will reward you over time.  All pharma companies go through phases like this.  I started a one stock Roth IRA for my wife about 1998.  My wife is a nurse and selected PFE.  It's an extreme example as the recovery took forever, but bailing in frustration before it finally ran wouldn't have been a good idea either.  I did that stupid trick with MSFT.  

Hope this was encouraging because that was my intent.

BUY a QUALITY COMPANY

at a REASONABLE PRICE

LOOK for that DIVIDEND

and NEVER SELL

this is what I pretty much go by--do i make mistakes--yes--do i follow it to a capital "T"--no--would i be better off if i did--yes--but for the most part it works well for me-- i've been accumulating stocks such as abbv, mo and celg until bmy kind of sidetracked me on my celg purchases--i still consider all three buys
Started a small position again in ABBV.
I took a small position in ABBV today as well just under $77.

I'm hoping MSFT goes down after earnings this week so I can add more. That's the only tech I'm willing to buy for the future at the moment
Got rid of OMC. Nothing wrong with the company but I bought my first set of shares around $68 some months ago. The plan was for OMC to become a long term holding but the price jumped before I could add more. I can't justify buying more at the current prices and I also don't feel like keeping a mini-position open. It was less than 0.5% of my portfolio and I just think it takes too much time to keep following a company I own so little. And as I said I can't justify buying more at these prices which also means I'm quite happy with the price I get to sell for.

Bought more PEP and JNJ.
PEP has really stalled of late. But at least it's been in a nice trading range the last few months. Great company!
(09-19-2018, 11:08 AM)divmenow Wrote: Just bought some Innovative Industrial Properties, Inc. - IIPR

I suggest you all take a position in this one. Pays a nice 3% yield and best of all its in the growing cannabis industry. They provide state-licensed cannabis growers under long-term triple-net lease agreements. Thank me later on this one lol

Did everyone take my advise and buy IIPR? It's gone from $40 to $62 in 5 months. Its now my biggest gainer in the last 6 months. Who would have thought lol