Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AT&T
Looking at buying AT&T (T) but slightly worried by their record in regards to dividend cover? I know it has recovered now but I'm looking for solid 30year holds.

Should I be hesitant and worried?
I initiated a half position in T this summer. I think the dividend is fairly safe and T will continue to exist and pay dividends over the coming years.
Its more a high income play...I wouldnt really expect much of a growth in those dividends.
I own it, but only as a means to fuel future purchases in better ideas from the dividends it throws off.
I own it. Great for initial dividend yield, but not looking to get high growth in the dividend.
I figure the dividend is safe and is likely to grow at a 2-4% rate going forward. With a current yield of 5.3% and reinvestment of dividends, I believe I can get a yield on cost of over 10% within 10 years with little risk to capital.

Its not likely a stock that will give you huge capital gains over the years, but its a great cornerstone to a dividend growth portfolio.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Lewys, did you buy some MCD yet?
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

I'm set to buy AT&T @$32.50 (currently I have no position), and boost my position in Verizon @$44 (roll -off from VOD).

Ronn
Barron's recently released a very favorable article on AT&T.

"We are maintaining our Outperform rating. Our $38 target implies 15.4% upside from current levels."

title of article: AT&T Shares Seen With 15% Upside

I tried to post a link, but it takes to the for pay site. I was able to access the full article by searching the article's title in Google, then clicking on the link.
Alex
I own AT&T. I have always liked the telecommunications sector since the yields are quite high even though everyone and their cat has a mobile phone now, internet connections are becoming more and more common for other devices. I do not think these big names can fail in this sector.

Previously I owned a telecommunications company from Europe but sold 50% of it due to my vision of things to come in Europe. Reinvested that money 50% into AT&T and 50% into Bell Canada.
Those are two of my telecom holdings too - AT&T and BCE. BCE is in a lot of ways like AT&T - they (BCE) seem to move in lock step with whatever AT&T does technologically. Donno if thats a good thing or bad - but they have been doing well for my portfolio. The one good thing I like about BCE is taht they are also investing a lot in media.
I'm not so crazy about AT&T as a stock, but as a bond substitute, especially with selling calls, it is a real cash cow.
Alex
AT&T reported double-digit revenue, EPS, and FCF growth.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3053466-amp...es-revenue