Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What broker does everyone use?
Just out of interest.
I use Hargreaves Lansdown, expensive at £11.95 a deal but I like the premium service, bells and whistles such as the app.

What about everyone else?
All of my non-401k money is at Vanguard. Not the cheapest for brokerage, and their tools are not the most advanced, but it is really a vestige of my all-indexing days. I still really like them philosophically, so don't mind staying there.
TD Ameritrade here. I like the Think or Swim client.
I use E*Trade. At $9.99, it isn't the cheapest place, but I don't trade enough for it to matter much.
I use Wells Fargo Advisors. I got in a good deal with 100 free trades a year. So long as I don't change my account it should stay that way. I also have a Vanguard account, TSP, and an American Funds account from when I was a kid that has grown nicely.
I have a brokerage firm out of Denver Cetera that I use for my IRA and Roth.

I am in the last stages of transferring my kids accounts to MerrillEdge, in the process of transferring a trust that I have to them also, $6.95 per trade.

I also have an old TD Ameritrade account for a small account $9.99 per trade.

Jim
Feeling ripped off paying $18 a trade!
I don't trade much so don't really mind.
Paying a BIG premium for the service
(10-07-2014, 07:42 PM)Lewys120 Wrote: Feeling ripped off paying $18 a trade!
I don't trade much so don't really mind.
Paying a BIG premium for the service

Discipline will play a big part in your success early on.

Keep your trades to an absolute minimum. At $18 a trade with minimal capital I'd be looking to accrue ~$3K before purchasing a new equity or adding to an existing one, keeping my transaction cost to ~0.6%

If you accrued $1K 3 different times and made a purchase at each $1K you'd be pissing away nearly 2% of your hard earned capital in transaction fees alone
Unfortunately the average price here in uk is around $15 a trade.
Scottrade. $7/trade. No maintenance or inactivity fees.
Canada checking in.

Questrade. $4.95/trade. Free to buy ETFs, $4.95 to sell.
A friend and I share a Scottrade account, but my main account is TD Ameritrade.

My 401k at my old job was Vanguard. Now it's held by T-Rowe Price.