Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What broker does everyone use?
(11-05-2014, 03:46 PM)Joey Batz Wrote: A friend and I share a Scottrade account

Like an investment club type of thing? How do you find making joint decisions?
(11-06-2014, 04:27 PM)Kerim Wrote:

Not an investment club. It's just a regular account that we both funded 50%, so we both have 50% ownership of the portfolio. Making investment decisions together is actually pretty easy. He's more knowledgeable than I (I learned all about what dividend investing is from him), but he's also a lot more conservative than I (and I'm no speculative player). We don't always agree 100%, but the "disagreements" (which would amount to me simply being a little more open-minded about a specific company than he) have been easily manageable. I can say that we've never had a purchase, sale, or passed up a purchase or sale as a result of one person giving up and acquiescing to the other, or anything like that.
(11-09-2014, 05:46 PM)Joey Batz Wrote:

Not an investment club. It's just a regular account that we both funded 50%, so we both have 50% ownership of the portfolio. Making investment decisions together is actually pretty easy. He's more knowledgeable than I (I learned all about what dividend investing is from him), but he's also a lot more conservative than I (and I'm no speculative player). We don't always agree 100%, but the "disagreements" (which would amount to me simply being a little more open-minded about a specific company than he) have been easily manageable. I can say that we've never had a purchase, sale, or passed up a purchase or sale as a result of one person giving up and acquiescing to the other, or anything like that.

That's pretty interesting. Is it an old portfolio? In other words, how long has this experiment been underway? I'm curious if you feel like having a partner to vet the decisions with has helped performance.
I use Vanguard. Rock solid, and if you have over 500K in assets (which can include any of their funds and/or cash, but not individual stocks) trades are only $2. Otherwise, I believe they are $7.
(11-12-2014, 06:32 PM)Owner Wrote: I use Vanguard. Rock solid, and if you have over 500K in assets (which can include any of their funds and/or cash, but not individual stocks) trades are only $2. Otherwise, I believe they are $7.

I can't believe I didn't know that!!!

What a rude awakening. I guess I am waaay further than I thought from those $2 trades. Oh well, I suppose I've lived with $7 for this long. What's another decade?
(11-11-2014, 12:02 AM)Kerim Wrote:
(11-09-2014, 05:46 PM)Joey Batz Wrote:

That's pretty interesting. Is it an old portfolio? In other words, how long has this experiment been underway? I'm curious if you feel like having a partner to vet the decisions with has helped performance.

It has greatly. Traditionally, I've been the one to say "THAT STOCK LOOKS GREAT, LET'S THROW MONEY AT IT!!!!!" while he would often pull me back a bit. Okay, so it was never that dramatic, but he would always be significantly more cautious than me. While sometimes his fears were unfounded, there were still a good number of times that he would be right. We bounce ideas off each other and just come to whatever would be the best purchase for our very limited funds. It's really that simple, believe it or not.

We've more than doubled our money since we started, but since we started in 2008, that's really not saying too much.