Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving across the country
I currently live in the Bay Area near San Francisco, and I'm a native to this area. A couple weeks ago my company offered me a job in the Northeast, and today I accepted. It was a very short timeframe in which to make a decision - to leave behind all my friends, family, and routines, in search of new adventures - so my head is kind of spinning. But it didn't take me very long to make up my mind. I'm 32, single, don't own a home, and while I've traveled a bit, I've never lived out of state. I'm getting bored and restless, and when this opportunity came up, I decided now is the time to pull up roots and go somewhere new, because it's not gonna get any easier. I've spent the last couple of weeks getting rid of as much stuff as I can.

There are a few options for where I could go, but I've narrowed them down to the areas of White Plains, NY, or somewhere in the Westchester area; Hartford, CT, or maybe New Haven; and maybe Marlborough, CT. My boss wants me to figure it out and make it happen asap. So, the whirlwind starts now. Google Maps and Street View are pretty amazing for scoping out a neighborhood and finding the amenities I'd need, but if anyone has any experience with these places, please share. I can't decide if I want to post up in a hotel for a week while I scope out apartments in person, or just sign a lease based on photos and street views. Big decisions, so little time. Smile

Also, if anyone has done a long distance move before, do you have any lessons learned?

Dan
Bravo on taking the plunge -- that is a big bunch of changes all at once! When I was younger, I made a lot of big moves like that. Usually was very glad I did. It is hard to overstate the value of new adventures, new places, people, challenges, etc.

My number one tip is to constantly remind yourself that it takes a LOT longer to get comfortable in a new place than you'd ever imagine. The first few days and weeks are whirlwind of activity and it is fun and distracting, then can come a long period of disorientation and homesickness. It is so many little things that make a place feel familiar and comfortable -- like home. You need to learn your way around, which gas station you like, where your things are in the grocery store, etc. etc.

As to choosing which place, I'd say pick a place with lots of people and activity and things to do. It can be tough making new friends and building a community, so you want to make that part as easy as possible.

I don't know much about the places you listed. My in-laws live just north of Hartford. It is a nice enough small city, but not a lot of urban activity. I think downtown closes up after business hours. They are trying to rectify that with theaters and restaurants, but not sure how it is going. Like any city, there are some nice parts and a lot of run down parts. Same with the suburbs -- very hit and miss.

But maybe you're looking for a small town feel after living in San Fran? Or maybe you can choose someplace sort of central to your job and sign a short lease (6 months) and use the time to explore some of those areas you mentioned before deciding which one looks most promising?
Thanks for the reply Kerim. Unfortunately things were not as simple as I made them sound, my boss and I could not agree on terms, and the whole idea was founded on slightly misunderstood premises. I could not take the plunge given those circumstances, so I called it off.

I still have the wanderlust though, and I'm not ready to admit that I'm too old to move. It just has to happen for the right reasons.