Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
35 out of my 36 companies are trailing the market...
I too have 19 of them. That's quite a list and like them all except RDS-B. That's only because I'm ignorant of anything about them. I've got COP and CVX in our portfolios.

The question would be, how are the companies doing? Are they growing earnings? Is the dividend increasing? Are you reinvesting the dividends? I follow what the market is doing but don't compare my portfolio with it. Does it really matter? Is your income and share count growing? That, to me, is the essence of it.

One year seems to be a pretty short period to measure performance unless you're trading in and out. Large corporations can take several years to work out problems. Sometimes it takes a few years for Mr. Market to recognize the potential or earnings to catch up with the price. 1/4 of my portfolio is in the red right now because they were the later purchases but I don't care -- I'm waiting to see where I'm at in 10 years when I'm getting ready to start thinking about retiring. I adjust where I need to based on company performance, not Mr. Market, and then sit and watch.

I'd suggest perusing through Tim McAleenan's blog here or read some of Chuck Carnevale's articles and chowder's blog over at Seeking Alpha.

Patience can win the race. Hang in there.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
RE: 35 out of my 36 companies are trailing the market... - by Dividend Watcher - 10-01-2014, 07:17 PM
RE: 35 out of my 36 companies are trailing the market... - by Be Here Now - 10-11-2014, 12:58 PM