Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QCOM
This could be good news for you QCOM owners.

"Qualcomm (QCOM) stock closed up 61 cents, or 0.8%, at $76.44, after Ericsson (ERIC) announced it would exit the baseband modem chip business, eliminating a second competitor for Qualcomm in just three months after Broadcom (BRCM) folded up baseband operations in June."

Barrons Article
Alex
(09-19-2014, 08:22 AM)hendi_alex Wrote: This could be good news for you QCOM owners.

"Qualcomm (QCOM) stock closed up 61 cents, or 0.8%, at $76.44, after Ericsson (ERIC) announced it would exit the baseband modem chip business, eliminating a second competitor for Qualcomm in just three months after Broadcom (BRCM) folded up baseband operations in June."

Barrons Article

Good to see you posting again Alex.

The news can't hurt!

Long QCOM.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Woohoo! Missed that news article. Thanks for sharing.

Long QCOM.
Also, the iPhone 6 teardown shows 5 or 6 QCOM components ... up from the 3(?) in the 5

Love QCOM ... Long QCOM

Edit: http://seekingalpha.com/news/1991955-iph...ng-winners

"iFixit's teardown of the iPhone 6 Plus turned up five Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) chips, up from the three found in last year's teardown of the 5S and nearly matching the six found in certain Galaxy S5 teardowns."
QCOM buys CSR in all cash deal
YES!
This is how you spend the extra cash that you have in your coffers. I am sick of seeing other companies buying back their own shares at all-time highs and trying to engineer their financial statements. I have been quite vocal about this on my blog and have received quite a bit of criticism on my thoughts. While buyback has its place, most companies are just doing it to either reward their own board members/execs or to keep Wall St happy by eke-ing out EPS beat by 1 or 2 cents (companies like IBM and INTC).

When theres extra cash, I'd rather see companies either invest or pay down debt instead of buying their own stock. Since QCOM doesnt have any debt, investing is the best use of the cash.
(10-15-2014, 10:56 AM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: YES!
This is how you spend the extra cash that you have in your coffers. I am sick of seeing other companies buying back their own shares at all-time highs and trying to engineer their financial statements. I have been quite vocal about this on my blog and have received quite a bit of criticism on my thoughts. While buyback has its place, most companies are just doing it to either reward their own board members/execs or to keep Wall St happy by eke-ing out EPS beat by 1 or 2 cents (companies like IBM and INTC).

When theres extra cash, I'd rather see companies either invest or pay down debt instead of buying their own stock. Since QCOM doesnt have any debt, investing is the best use of the cash.

Agreed. It's great that they were able to make a $2.5b acquisition with cash on hand and still have no debt. But, QCOM does buy back a lot of stock, and it doesn't seem to have reduced their share count over the past 5 years.
Since CSR is UK:

"Qualcomm will use overseas cash to fund the deal and such cash is not available to be paid out to U.S. shareholders by way of dividends or stock buybacks without the firm paying significant repatriation taxes."
(10-15-2014, 09:27 PM)earthtodan Wrote: Agreed. It's great that they were able to make a $2.5b acquisition with cash on hand and still have no debt. But, QCOM does buy back a lot of stock, and it doesn't seem to have reduced their share count over the past 5 years.

Hmmm that is a good point.
Mar 2012 QCOM share buyback announcement = $4B
Mar 2013 QCOM share buyback announcement = $5B
Mar 2014 QCOM share buyback announcement = $5B

Share count Sep 2012 = 1741M
Share count Sep 2013 = 1754M (+13M)
Share count ttm = 1723M (-31M)

2012-2013: So, while the share buyback was announced (a publicity stunt?), the company was also issuing new shares?

2013-2014: Share count drop at an average price of $75/share = $2.3B. This is inline with the authorization.
QCOM just missed quite badly and gave poor guidance ... We need to figure this China shit out ... Krikey what a shady country

Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM): FQ4 EPS of $1.26 misses by $0.05.
Revenue of $6.69B (+3% Y/Y) misses by $330M.
Expects FQ1 revenue of $6.6B-$7.2B and EPS of $1.18-$1.30, below a consensus of $7.39B and $1.43.
Expects FY15 revenue of $26.8B-$28.8B and EPS of $5.05-$5.35, below a consensus of $28.9B and $5.58.
236M MSM chip shipments, in-line with guidance of 230M-245M. 250M-270M shipments expected in FQ1.
Shares -3.9% AH.
Just listened to the whole earnings call ... Low end of FY 15 guidance represents zero resolution to the China problems ( licensee(s) not paying and others under reporting ) ...
China is one hellofa shady country indeed. Thanks for sharing the details of the earnings call.