Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twil's (future) portfolio
Quick question,

Currently I am down ~18% in COP right now, yikes Confused . Would it be better to buy the dip on this rather than purchase a whole new position? Since it is down so much from my initial investment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am sort of in a pickle.
I had to go back and look. As best as I can tell, you're holding: AAPL, KMI, KO, OHI, PM, T, SBUX & COP -- correct? Don't remember all that's on the watchlist.

I went back to my portfolios & watchlists looking for anything that said "buy me".

AFL still seems undervalued but with Japan hanging over their head, this is going to take a while to work itself out. I just sold a covered call on part of it today just to generate a little extra cash. I don't think it's going anywhere for a while.

JNJ you could argue is in it's normal range and still has a promising future.

CVX interests me here but I'm overallocated so I'll just watch & reinvest.

MCD took a spanking today. You might find an interesting price in the next few days if you can bear watching it languish for the next year.

TUP I keep going back and looking at trying to find a solid yes or no reasoning. I'm finding nothing compelling me either way here but if it dropped a few more points I'd begin to get convinced. I'd like a little more margin of safety since the majority of their sales are outside the US.

COP is a good choice here. That yield can sooth a lot of pain while waiting. During the recession, I sat with a double-digit loss in my wife's portfolio for almost a year so patience may be required.

The rest of the oil patch is looking pretty good now and for the next 6 months so I wouldn't rush. It may take a while for oil to come back up. You didn't miss the deals in the oil-related companies.

In other words, I'm not finding a lot of reasonable choices here. If you're really willing to hold for the long term and don't mind a little underperformance for a while, you could always look at some of the lower yield/faster growers such as V, MC, CHD, GWW, TJX, or NKE to name a few. All are a little pricey to me and the yield may buy some bubblegum but you're young so you have a long flight path.

Choices, choices!
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

This article has an interesting perspective on oil: http://seekingalpha.com/article/2739645-...up-for-oil

I am interested in CVX but will wait a bit longer before nibbling. Hedge funds that are long on oil are still liquidating as far as I can see, so there is no point in going long until the 'smart' money selling has run its course.
(12-08-2014, 10:35 PM)Be Here Now Wrote: I am interested in CVX but will wait a bit longer before nibbling.

If it gets down much below $90, I believe I might have some slightly used children for sale on eBay. Confused
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

CVX hit a new 52 week low today and 4% yield. The 5% yield price is $85.60. CVX has not been in that territory since the selloff of 2011. I will back up the truck if it gets there.
(12-09-2014, 02:19 AM)Dividend Watcher Wrote:
(12-08-2014, 10:35 PM)Be Here Now Wrote: I am interested in CVX but will wait a bit longer before nibbling.

If it gets down much below $90, I believe I might have some slightly used children for sale on eBay. Confused

Ha!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(12-09-2014, 09:40 AM)EricL Wrote:
(12-09-2014, 02:19 AM)Dividend Watcher Wrote:

Ha!

You all think that CVX will drop another 13 and reach 90 in the near future?

Bah, I need to make a decision average out my COP loss with another equal initial investment or open an new position in another company? the choices the choices haunt me haha
CVX is at or very close to a safe valuation. Morningstar rates fair value at $124 and 'consider buying' at $99. In my experience, anything that close to 'consider buying' is a bargain.

Then consider current yield of 4%. That is very close to what it was at the lows of 2008-09, when WTI got down to the low 30s. CVX continued to make money and raise its dividend then, and I think now will be no different. I have started nibbling.
Got in on CVX in the 101 range.

I liked what I saw today Smile

time to get researching
Been MIA from this forum for the past several months. My stocks have grown nicely with dividends reinvesting. It is time to make another purchase in the next couple weeks.

I may be looking to double up on some stocks or starting a new position all together. Stay tuned Tongue
Currently have on my watch list for my Roth:

XOM
O
GILD
AAPL
SBUX(i want MORE!)
SO
EMR
and a few others.

Ill make a new thread with pretty excel sheets this weekend when I get some free time.
(12-09-2014, 02:19 AM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: If it gets down much below $90, I believe I might have some slightly used children for sale on eBay. Confused

CVX is down to $94. Are your kids looking over their shoulders yet? Tongue
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha