Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twil's (future) portfolio
(08-21-2014, 08:14 AM)twil Wrote: Thank you everyone for the guidance and help.

I went with
AAPL
KMI
KO
OHI
PM
T

@Turvok

I am planning on my next purchase being in the industrial sector. Most likely MMM or DE.

Congrats! Now sit back and watch the dividends grow. All of those stocks will be around for quite some time and pay divs.

I just added some DE to my portfolio. My trigger at 85.50 was hit (and now the stock is slightly lower than that.) I think it's about to hit a bottom of it's current dip.
I have TDAmeritrade, they have fee-less auto DRIPS. I have most of your opinions on DRIPs, in this thread http://dividendgrowthforum.com/showthread.php?tid=654 .

Now the question that I must answer is, to drip or not to drip?
That's up to you. I use TDA as well and DRIP. I rebalance my portfolio as necessary, but the stocks I would be buying with dividends are the same ones I already have. Plus, it's nice to know I'm not sitting on cash if the market rises unexpectedly. I guess the inverse is a valid argument. But in the end, I believe Dollar Cost Averaging comes out as the reason I DRIP.
I have decided to DRIP for now. I would be using the dividends to reinvest in my current holdings, so why not do it for "free" Big Grin .

I am in the process of selling my PLUG/GPRO to free up some cash since I want to put everything towards DG stocks. Time to start researching another company in either pharm or industrial sector.[/b]
UPDATE:
I have accumulated another 1000ish for an investment. I have been doing a lot of homework on this next purchase, but for some reason I keep wanting to buy MO or MSFT.

My question is, since I already have a couple consumer staples/tech positions should I diversify my sectors before doubling/tripling up in certain sectors?
(08-27-2014, 02:31 PM)twil Wrote: UPDATE:
I have accumulated another 1000ish for an investment. I have been doing a lot of homework on this next purchase, but for some reason I keep wanting to buy MO or MSFT.

My question is, since I already have a couple consumer staples/tech positions should I diversify my sectors before doubling/tripling up in certain sectors?

I'm not as concerned over-weighting consumer staples rather than a few other sectors because they are generally the more stable and predictable investments. Also, your only other tech right now is APPL so I wouldn't see any harm in adding MSFT.

Another thought is to consider adding a utility to the mix.

SO, SCG, XEL and WEC are a few I either own or am considering buying myself.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(08-19-2014, 09:32 PM)Turvok Wrote: PM and T great and I am long both of those too. But I categorize them as Consumer staples and Tech, respectively.

This is why I thought I had multiple tech stocks.

I will look into the utility sector. I have also been looking at defense companies.
(08-27-2014, 03:06 PM)twil Wrote:
(08-19-2014, 09:32 PM)Turvok Wrote: PM and T great and I am long both of those too. But I categorize them as Consumer staples and Tech, respectively.

This is why I thought I had multiple tech stocks.

I will look into the utility sector. I have also been looking at defense companies.

I consider AT&T a telecommunications company, not tech.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Sorry. I lump telecom into tech in my portfolio. But I also account for that by adding weight to my tech sector. I'll be more specific as to how I categorize it next time.
Thank you for the clarification Turvok. That makes sense.
Update to my portfolio, I added a position in cop recently. I am now looking to add another position to get a couple more "core" holdings then start investing more into them.
Nice add, twil. That 4+% yield and P/E under 10 will compound nicely for you.

You came here with go-go, small-cap holdings and have made some nice picks. Personally (and you don't have to answer), I wonder how you feel moving over to more boring, dividend growth stocks and reinvesting those dividends. Is it boring? Do you think you're not getting anywhere?

I ask in case any other people coming here wonder whether dividend investing may be for them. It's definitely a transition from the hot stocks touted by the talking heads on TV and the big financial magazines to the more patient and less active dividend growth strategy.

It was an adjustment for me after investing willy-hilly for 30 years of timing and hoping. I had my epiphany about DGI during the Great Recession so for the longest time I didn't think I was getting very far. Sure the stock prices increased greatly since but I was working towards an income stream for when I quit the rat race. Now I am just beginning to really see the effects of the compounding dividends. Amazing -- these companies just keep throwing more and more money at me.

Anyway, all that to say nice pick in COP.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan