Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twil's (future) portfolio
Sorry. I lump telecom into tech in my portfolio. But I also account for that by adding weight to my tech sector. I'll be more specific as to how I categorize it next time.
Thank you for the clarification Turvok. That makes sense.
Update to my portfolio, I added a position in cop recently. I am now looking to add another position to get a couple more "core" holdings then start investing more into them.
Nice add, twil. That 4+% yield and P/E under 10 will compound nicely for you.

You came here with go-go, small-cap holdings and have made some nice picks. Personally (and you don't have to answer), I wonder how you feel moving over to more boring, dividend growth stocks and reinvesting those dividends. Is it boring? Do you think you're not getting anywhere?

I ask in case any other people coming here wonder whether dividend investing may be for them. It's definitely a transition from the hot stocks touted by the talking heads on TV and the big financial magazines to the more patient and less active dividend growth strategy.

It was an adjustment for me after investing willy-hilly for 30 years of timing and hoping. I had my epiphany about DGI during the Great Recession so for the longest time I didn't think I was getting very far. Sure the stock prices increased greatly since but I was working towards an income stream for when I quit the rat race. Now I am just beginning to really see the effects of the compounding dividends. Amazing -- these companies just keep throwing more and more money at me.

Anyway, all that to say nice pick in COP.
=====
How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

I have been following my plan of 1k monthly investments(i don't have much for bills yet Smile ) until I get to about 13-15 holdings.

Yes it is "boring" but I am fine with that, because I know it will get me somewhere in 30-40 years. Currently it does feel like I'm getting nowhere compared to that hotstreak TSLA had when I owned it. But, I have an Eng. degree and know the wonders of compounding. Also, comparing my portfolio to my good friend, who lost ~40k this last week due to the small cap "hot" stocks, I'm happy Smile

Now to my question. I've been looking at XOM/CVX for my next purchase since oil is down as of late. Would that be to much exposure for my young portfolio in oil?

Any suggestions on the next purchase?

I'm currently watching: VZ, SBUX, MO, WAG, XOM, CVX, AFL, MMM, DE

I would like to eventually own them all.
(10-23-2014, 08:33 AM)twil Wrote: Now to my question. I've been looking at XOM/CVX for my next purchase since oil is down as of late. Would that be to much exposure for my young portfolio in oil?

In my opinion, you will be building and adding to this portfolio over many years, so as you do there will be different sectors that rise and fall with the world economy. If a sector is giving you a sale on a stock and you like the company, I wouldn't be concerned about being too exposed at this point.

You will have another $1000 next month, and the next month, and the next month...you will add diversification as you go. If interest rates take a jump and utility and REIT stocks go on sale you can overweight them for a period. If we have a tough winter and consumer stocks go on sale you can pick them up cheap and overweight them for a period.

If you were retiring tomorrow and needed the dividend income to live off of, my answer might be different, but with new money coming in monthly and many more purchases ahead of you, buy what deals the market is giving you now and worry about diversification later.
My Blog: DGIfortheDIY.com
Seeking Alpha Author Page 
Ditto.

Nicely said, Eric.
=====
How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Cheers! Thank you for the advice.
(10-23-2014, 09:24 AM)EricL Wrote: In my opinion, you will be building and adding to this portfolio over many years, so as you do there will be different sectors that rise and fall with the world economy. If a sector is giving you a sale on a stock and you like the company, I wouldn't be concerned about being too exposed at this point.

..... with new money coming in monthly and many more purchases ahead of you, buy what deals the market is giving you now and worry about diversification later.

This! Could not agree more.
I read somewhere that the market is usually the lowest on monday, is that true?