Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adjusting to dividend growth investing
I don't really have a specific number of stocks I want to hold. I'd like to have as many stocks as I can reasonably monitor and I'm not sure what that number is yet. As I add positions, learn more and adjust my strategy I think that number will become more clear.

I like TGT because they plan to raise the dividend and I think eventually they will figure out a way to build the earnings to support that. It's just in the near term I think market sentiment toward the stock may continue to drive the price down. I agree with you on T. I like the entry yield and I don't expect AT&T to fall apart, but unless they find a way to keep up with changes in their industry I don't expect huge growth there. I look at T as a safe 5% return without a lot of risk to my capital.

Earthtodan, I have done track days and I hope to do more. Racing blows through more capital than any bad investment you can make, but it's addicting and so much fun. I co-own a track car, though it's been sitting for two years since I bought my first house and the co owner had his second child... There were several years in my mid twenties where almost all my disposable income went to the race car and the track. I'm trying to find a balance between planning for a future and enjoying the present. I think for me that means building a portfolio that will eventually start producing income so I have more free time to do the things I enjoy. I do hope to get back on the track next year once my savings is back on its track.
You make a good point about lower yield/high growth while I'm starting out. My average yield right now is over 5%, but I expect that to drop as I add to my portfolio. I'm still working out my strategy and reading all I can about dgi. I've always been a "learn the hard way" kind of person, but I'm hoping this forum will help me learn from other peoples experience.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adjusting to dividend growth investing - by Slowlife - 08-18-2014, 07:57 AM