Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Baby Goes to College
Yesterday, I took our last child, our only son and the baby of the brood, to F.I.T. in NYC. How nice it was to again be in midtown Manhattan and the crossroads of the world. Coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel we only had a couple quick turns and ended up in the line of cars waiting to check in -- a very organized operation in the midst of the chaos of NYC streets.

We're empty-nesters now and not loving it yet as we're still in shock at losing the kid that was the easiest to raise and who was always helping around the house without prompting.

Needless to say, the last week has been hectic and haven't paid nearly the attention I usually do. Now that he's gone, I can concentrate more on investing again.

Now to tie this in to investing ...

As I was unpacking the car, I looked down the street from the dorm and what was on the corner but a Duane Reede drugstore with their fair share of people going in and out. As you may recall, the Duane Reede chain was bought by Walgreens a year to two ago. As I drove around trying to get back out of the city, I noticed several other Duane Reede stores on busy street corners. All had a small WAG logo on the corner of their signage but for the most part still identify as Duane Reede.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(08-17-2014, 11:54 AM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Yesterday, I took our last child, our only son and the baby of the brood, to F.I.T. in NYC. How nice it was to again be in midtown Manhattan and the crossroads of the world. Coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel we only had a couple quick turns and ended up in the line of cars waiting to check in -- a very organized operation in the midst of the chaos of NYC streets.

We're empty-nesters now and not loving it yet as we're still in shock at losing the kid that was the easiest to raise and who was always helping around the house without prompting.

Needless to say, the last week has been hectic and haven't paid nearly the attention I usually do. Now that he's gone, I can concentrate more on investing again.

Now to tie this in to investing ...

As I was unpacking the car, I looked down the street from the dorm and what was on the corner but a Duane Reede drugstore with their fair share of people going in and out. As you may recall, the Duane Reede chain was bought by Walgreens a year to two ago. As I drove around trying to get back out of the city, I noticed several other Duane Reede stores on busy street corners. All had a small WAG logo on the corner of their signage but for the most part still identify as Duane Reede.

Congratulations on getting the kids this far, DW! I'm sure it is extremely disorienting, but it is quite a milestone and something to be proud of.

My only kid is only seven, so hard to imagine it myself.
Enjoy it now, Kerim. You won't believe how fast it goes and then you're packing the car with their "stuff".
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

In NYC for Parent's Day. Wish I had time to wander down & watch the traders under the buttonwood tree or check in on some company hq.
=====