Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to change portfolio, need opinions
Hey Turvok -- Welcome to the forum!

At first glance, that looks like a pretty great collection of stocks to me. Can you please give some more details as to why you think you need to make changes? Have you calculated your current sector allocations, and can you share that with us so we can see why / how you are missing your targets?

Generally, though, if you are in your early 30s, I'm assuming that your portfolio is going to grow a lot before you retire, and my high-level advice would be not to do yourself any harm by unnecessarily churning your portfolio. Why not map out a long term-plan to achieve the allocations that you desire by just directing your new investment dollars to get you there?

In other words, if you think you are currently underweight sector X and overweight sector Y, instead of selling Y right now to buy more X, just concentrate your new money in sector X opportunities for a few years until you get to the allocation you want.

One of the dangers of dividend growth investing is that it is incredibly boring, and there are long stretches of time where you take no action at all. The temptation to "do something" can be very strong, but more often than not you're just undermining your long term results. Your list of stocks seems great -- no obvious dogs at all. It seems like you've done a careful job putting it together, and I'd want a very compelling reason to change course.

Finally, hang on to MCD. It is going to be just fine.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Want to change portfolio, need opinions - by Kerim - 08-10-2014, 07:41 AM