Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research & monitoring: where do you find the time?
Hi Robert,
It sounds like you have pretty good time management skills simply because you can say how many hours per day you spend on DGI research. For me, I have no idea. I've spent far too much time learning about it over the last year as sort of a ramp-up period, and it distracted me quite a bit from my job. Now things are heating up at work and I'll probably be working more than 40 hours for the rest of the year; however, I'm ramping down into a "maintenance period" where I can put DGI research on a trickle. Here are my tips for that:

- At least half the articles on Seeking Alpha are from authors who are not worth your time. They are easy to recognize because they are prolific, and the content is thinly researched and formulaic. Learn to ignore them.

- Identify blue chips that truly make you SWAN and turn off notifications for them if you use the SA app, plus those that generate new articles every hour. For example I consider most news flashes related to JNJ and GE to be ignorable, they aren't going to change my opinion on these companies. Also consider not paying attention to the earnings numbers from these companies.

- When researching new companies, use Finviz.com as your quick screener, and learn which numbers to look for in their big matrix. Use dividata.com for graphs of dividend history. I've filtered out new ideas in less than 1 minute using these tools.

Personally I must have close to a hundred tickers on my watch list, but I've learned to filter out most of the noise.

Dan

Messages In This Thread
RE: Research & monitoring: where do you find the time? - by earthtodan - 07-06-2014, 12:26 PM