Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange wash sale situation
I have 100 shares of KMI at MerrillEdge that I transferred in from ETrade in February. Merrill shows this position as -65% loss, which implies a cost basis of $102 per share. Of course this is impossible, because KMI has never traded that high, and in reality the position is up.

I called them and they said it's adjusted for a wash sale resulting from trading activity back at ETrade, having to do with when I had it on DRIP I think - I can't quite remember the details. Anyway, I pointed out that there has to be a mistake because it's impossible to have a $6700 loss on $3600 of KMI purchased for around $35/share.

Merrill: I checked with the person who would make the adjustment and he says the accounting is correct.

Me: So you're saying I can claim a -$6700 tax loss?

Merrill: Yes it appears that way.

Me: But don't you think it's strange that it implies a CB of $102 when KMI has never traded that high? Have you pointed that out to your guy?

Merrill: Yes, but I'm told it's correct.

So, I'd be happy to record the tax loss, but I'm sure Merrill is wrong. It was a very strange conversation to have. One of us must be wildly mistaken. Has anyone seen anything like this?
I would ask to speak to the guy that made the adjustment. Too often conversations get retold wrong when there is a go between. And if you got audited, proving the loss would be impossible to do. Though you might get lucky and the agent will just take Merrill at their word.