Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mighty MO
In the last week, Altria (MO) reached another new all time high. MO is a Dividend Champion that currently yields 4.54%. According to Jeremy Siegel, it is the single best performing stock of the last half century, and there is no end in sight.

Whenever there is a panic in the share price, I use it as a buying opportunity.
True indeed -- you don't have to convince me, BHN!

10 percent of my entire DG portfolio is in MO, at an average price of about $16.10 per share, and I wish I had bought a whole lot more. That "best performing stock of the century" statistic has been around for years, and it is tempting to think that the run must end sometime soon, but as you point out, it just keeps chugging along -- big yield, big cash flow, earnings growth, dividend growth.

With their venture into SABMiller, the rise of e-cigs, and marijuana legalization out there on the horizon, MO could dominate the next century as well.

It is hard for me to buy more in the $40s with such a low price per share, and I arguably am already very over-exposed, but this is one of the first 5 stocks I'd recommend for someone building a new portfolio.
I think the story about e-cigs and vaping is not so rosy as it might seem. This gave me pause: http://monstervapors.com/calculator.asp

If vaping cannibalizes cigarette sales to any meaningful extent, this could do to MO what lawsuits and regulation have not.
(06-07-2014, 04:41 PM)Kerim Wrote: True indeed -- you don't have to convince me, BHN!

10 percent of my entire DG portfolio is in MO, at an average price of about $16.10 per share, and I wish I had bought a whole lot more. That "best performing stock of the century" statistic has been around for years, and it is tempting to think that the run must end sometime soon, but as you point out, it just keeps chugging along -- big yield, big cash flow, earnings growth, dividend growth.

With their venture into SABMiller, the rise of e-cigs called
itaste vtr, and marijuana legalization out there on the horizon, MO could dominate the next century as well.

It is hard for me to buy more in the $40s with such a low price per share, and I arguably am already very over-exposed, but this is one of the first 5 stocks I'd recommend for someone building a new portfolio.
I do agree with you..i hope you will keep it updated..Even I wished I had lot more share..
I will try to comment here when I think there is a good buy opportunity for MO. Really good buying opportunities are rare, so patience is required. In the last 2 years there have been 3 strong buy signals - Nov 2012, Aug 2013, Feb 2014.
oh man CVS is going to pull cigs from its pharmacies D:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2479575-...o-products
At this writing:

MO is up 23% on the year and has a current yield of 4.45%.

S&P 500 (SPY) is up 4% and has a current yield of 1.97%.

Russell 2000 (VTWO) is down 8% and has a current yield of 1.14%.

Since the start of September, MO is up 8%, SPY is down 5%, VTWO is down 11%.

Mighty MO.