Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pullback Daydreaming
So while we all sit around bored waiting for the market to present some more interesting opportunities, I thought I’d sharpen my pencil and come up with a short list of stocks that I’ll strongly consider adding on the next dip or pullback, whenever that arrives. Would love others to share their best ideas as well.

AT&T (T). I’m a little annoyed at myself for not snapping up some shares on its recent dip to $32 back in Feb and March. I’ll try not to make that mistake again.

Aflac (AFL). The great stock that I love to hate. The yield is a bit weak for my liking, but they’ll be more generous someday, right?

Deere (DE). Just love the low P/E, low payout ratio combination, not to mention the earnings and dividend growth.

Target (TGT). I’ve expressed my concern about bricks and mortar retail elsewhere, but my exposure is still pretty light, so if the shares drop more, I may have to double down.

Altria (MO). I’m so overweight tobacco that I may never really buy another share with new money again, but MO just sits there on top of my ranked list, year after year, even as the price goes up.

Exxon (XOM). I don’t own any XOM yet, but would like a nice entry price to add some shares. I’m thinking that oil / energy names could comfortably make up 15 or so percent of the ultimate portfolio. Maybe even a bit more. But getting in at good prices matters more here, I think.
(JNJ) is at the top of my wish list for tumbling back into the double digits.

(UNP) is probably next. Their 1-year chart is an incredible straight line march up and to the right.

Edit: (MMM) has been on my pullback wish list so long I almost forgot about it!
Want to top up KRFT in the wife's portfolio. Just may do that in the next month or so since it's taken a breather the last couple days.

Also, like dan, need to top off JNJ in her portfolio but would like it below $90. That's probably just wishful thinking and may have to wait a little longer.

Also waiting patiently for MSFT, LMT and PG but I think those will be next recession additions.

I want a little more OHI. Haven't decided whether to bite the bullet or wait for a little pullback.

I started a small position in GE a couple months ago. Would like to add but waiting for the consumer finance spinoff and the price to drop a little bit.

Helmerich & Payne (HP) is on my list but it will have to drop a lot more than I think I'll see. So, will wait to see the next dividend increase. If it's over 10%, then I'll get more interested. The last two were humdingers and won't be repeated I'm certain.

I'm hoping my impatience won't get the best of me.Confused
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Wanting to add some more TGT to my wife's portfolio.

Also wanting to add some more of IBM & KMI to her portfolio as well.
I would like to start positions in BAX, CEFL, DPS, DVHL, JNJ, KO, PEP.

I would like to add to BDCL, CSG, GIS, LXP, MCD, MLPL, O, PG, STAG, VTR, WPC, WU.

I am agnostic about which takes priority. I (re)invest opportunistically, taking whatever Mr Market offers at a bargain, within some fairly loose limits on how much I want to have in each position and category.
(06-05-2014, 11:30 PM)Be Here Now Wrote: I (re)invest opportunistically, taking whatever Mr Market offers at a bargain

He's being a bit stingy at the moment, unfortunately!
Big energy is facing an accelerating problem of replacing reserves. IMO splitting the play with rig lease companies and other oil service companies may be good way to play the energy card. The harder big oil has to work at increasing reserves, the better oil service companies will fare. I also continue to like the future of LNG carriers and also pipeline companies such as PBA or KMI.
Alex
What would you consider a pull back? 10%, 15% or more? At what point would you consider adding or would you buy some at 5% then wait and hope for a further drop?

I've got several buying points for the stocks I want to add to and what I would gain at even lower prices. I'd like to see a 20% drop as most of my buying points are between 10% & 15%.

That's the hard part of DG investing, waiting!
(06-08-2014, 01:22 PM)cannew Wrote: What would you consider a pull back? 10%, 15% or more? At what point would you consider adding or would you buy some at 5% then wait and hope for a further drop?

Well, it is a market of stocks and all that, so it really depends how much any of the particular names I am after drop, and not an overall market metric that I'd be looking at. For example, I'd need a smaller pullback in T than I would need in XOM to jump in.

(06-08-2014, 01:22 PM)cannew Wrote: the hard part of DG investing, waiting!

Indeed!
(06-03-2014, 09:01 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Helmerich & Payne (HP) is on my list but it will have to drop a lot more than I think I'll see. So, will wait to see the next dividend increase. If it's over 10%, then I'll get more interested. The last two were humdingers and won't be repeated I'm certain.

Well, a 10% increase after a > 200% and a 25% bump within 6 months of each other seems quite interesting. Add that to over 40 years of increases, much of it bouncing around 6-8% annually, has piqued my interest even further.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan