Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dividend Growth Mutual Funds?
So a colleague today asked me what I think of dividend growth and high dividend mutual funds. I haven't thought about this too much myself, I think because I enjoy picking individual DG stocks and building my own fund. Why pay someone to do something I enjoy doing myself?!

I guess a mutual fund that focuses on dividends could be a good idea in some circumstances. If you simply don't have the time or interest to research individual stocks, for example. Or if you are starting with small sums, it is a quick way to diversify. Of course these are those pesky fees. Vanguard has the Vanguard Dividend Growth Fund (VDIGX), with a reasonable 0.31 percent expense ratio. But it looks like it is only yielding 2.24 percent? Can that be right? Anyone know what "SEC yield" actually means? I hope that is not a measure of actual distributions, because my little portfolio beats that by a mile. They also have a high dividend yield fund (VHDYX), but the yield looks only a little higher.

Any thoughts?
Why would anyone consider any Mutual fund, dividend or otherwise:

1. High MER
2. Low income
3. No control over the stocks in the fund
4. MER every year, next year, next year and forever.

Would not consider an ETF either, for the same reasons even if the fee is only .05% to .07%.