Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings from the country of Texas
I posted a question about DD in the "Individual Dividend Growth Stocks" forum yesterday. Since I didn't post much personal info, I'll fill in some blanks here.
I'm 63yrs. old, my wife is 65. Both of us are still working and have no plans for retirement any time soon. We are completely debt-free. My daughter is out on her own. A lawyer, married, and the proud new mom of our first grandchild 9 month old Molly. My son graduated from Texas A&M last Saturday. Has a good job already and is eager to start his new life on his own.
I guess you could call our financial situation "comfortable". I started my portfolio a couple years ago with some money I had saved. I didn't know much about investing in stocks and I find mutual funds boring. Luckily I discovered Dividend Growth Investing before I made any serious mistakes. I made some money, but I didn't want to be a "trader"...too much work. The more I learned about DGI, the more it seemed to suit my needs.
My portfolio now consists of 10 "Core" holdings and 5 smaller holdings, in order, more or less...ranked by size.
Core Holdings
DD,WFC,INTC,MO,KO,GE,MSFT,GIS,KMI,ED
Smaller Holdings
CSX,TIS,VZ (resulting from VOD deal) and VOD

I'm not a bit afraid of the stock market...I lived through the "dotcom" bubble burst fairly unscathed (Thank You, Peter Lynch!)
Thanks to all who commented on my DD post. Looking forward to learning more. Thanks,
kayboy!
Welcome and I think many wish they were in your position. Like your holdings and your attitude toward investing.
Welcome kayboy, and thanks for the additional information. Looks like a nice and focused portfolio. To me, DD does look a bit like the "odd man out," especially given that you said it is larger than your next two largest holdings combined.
    to the man from the Republic of Texas. I used to love when my company sent me to Houston for training several times a year. The Pappas family had some excellent restaurants. I especially miss Pappadeaux.

Very interesting and solid portfolio. I'm still a little leery about DD but if you're comfortable, that's all that matters. Are you planning to expand your holdings or are you happy with the concentration?

Glad you joined us. Looking forward to hearing your tales as you learn more about stock investing and DGI especially.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the grandchild!
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Welcome to the forum!
Nice to have another Texan on board. Especially one that went with the older wife. I also went with the 2 year older wife. Gotta love the older women.

Like the portfolio that you have. Personally own most of what you have.
(05-13-2014, 06:44 PM)cannew Wrote: Welcome and I think many wish they were in your position. Like your holdings and your attitude toward investing.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm fortunate to have been given what I need instead of what I deserve.
kayboy!

(05-13-2014, 09:03 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: to the man from the Republic of Texas. I used to love when my company sent me to Houston for training several times a year. The Pappas family had some excellent restaurants. I especially miss Pappadeaux.

Very interesting and solid portfolio. I'm still a little leery about DD but if you're comfortable, that's all that matters. Are you planning to expand your holdings or are you happy with the concentration?

Glad you joined us. Looking forward to hearing your tales as you learn more about stock investing and DGI especially.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the grandchild!

All I'm waiting on is an upcoming divi, and DD is as good as gone. As of now, I'm thinking about splitting the proceeds between JNJ and CVX, but more research is needed.