Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-dividend, non-growth stocks?
Hi -- Even though this site is all about DG stocks, I'd be interested in an area where just high dividend stocks could be talked about.

Where might I be able to do that now? I don't think it belongs in "off topic". What about another forum category for these kinds of stocks?
This is a good point, aagha. I’ve been wrestling with a similar thought. One approach would be simply to create a section for “other” stocks and strategies. Alternatively, I could rename the “Individual Dividend Growth Stocks” section to be something more generic like “Individual Stocks.” There are only 8 threads in there now, and several of them already are about stocks that are not dividend growers OR high dividend payers.

I’d love to hear other ideas, but between those two ideas, I think I lean a bit towards the second – at least until we have more activity and more threads to categorize. It seems confusing to have separate areas, especially where in some cases people might disagree about whether a stock makes the cut as a “dividend growth” stock in the first place.

For now, don’t sweat it too much -- if you want to discuss any individual stock (DG or otherwise), put it in the “individual” section, and if you want to discuss investing strategy generally, even if not DG, put it in the “DG Investing” bucket. (High dividend stocks are close enough, andyway!)

(Also note some posts I added about NLY here and here.)
aagha is basically referring to the Dogs of the Dow strategy. In Canada we have the Beating the Dow. Both theories are based on selecting stocks with the highest yield and the end of a year and re-balancing your portfolio. Dividend growth is not a consideration (even though many of the stocks are DG stocks).

One is back to buying and selling. I prefer to buy only stocks I consider good dividend growth stocks, re-investing the dividends (unless you need or want the income) and holding forever, unless the company eliminates the dividend or falls into serious trouble.
In my opinion it would be better to have a separate section for other stocks, the name of the site is dividendgrowthforum.com, I assume that is what focus you are looking for with members. Don't be discouraged that there are only 8 threads in the section so far, the board is young, it will grow.

Might I suggest changing the current heading from "Individual Dividend Growth Stocks" to simply "Dividend Growth Stocks" and possibly add a new section called simply "Other Investments" or "Other Stocks".
Or we could go with Small cap DGR stocks... midcap DGR... large DGR.... small cap high yield... etc. Lots of ways to dice this stuff. But, if we have a good structure it will make things less confusing once the board gets busy. And it WILL get busy....
I've been a member of Investor Village for several years and have also been a member of a gardening forum called Helpfulgarden.com. I.V. has struggled to survive, while helpfulgardener has thrived. One difference that I see is in the forum structure. This forum is arranged more like helpful gardener with limited boards. IMO that is helpful as posting volume is not diluted over an almost infinite number of boards that exists at I.V.

My suggestion is that you give a lot of thought to the main board categories, and never let them grow beyond 12-15 boards. Perhaps even reserve one as an archive board, where minimally active boards get placed if they don't make it as a stand alone board on your main page.

Right now the site title is pretty limiting, and a lack of consistency is developing between the board themes versus the site name. IMO that is not a major problem, but it would seem that a more general Forum name would have better matched the board selection that is evolving. My interests relate to a balance between cash flow generation and growth of portfolio NAV over time, therefore any topics relating to those objectives would fit. Am not interested in day trading or very quick turnover plays, though occasionally do such in my more active account. I'm not usually looking for a quick profit, but sometimes when a ticker bounces by 5%-10% very quickly after a buy, I'll cash my chips in the active IRA. I'm exclusively looking for long term ideas for my cash account and am looking for more transient moves that play out over a 6 month to 2 year period in my IRA.
Alex
Thanks so much, guys. This is really excellent feedback. I really want to be sure that the site is meeting people's needs.

(09-22-2013, 10:49 PM)EricL Wrote: In my opinion it would be better to have a separate section for other stocks, the name of the site is dividendgrowthforum.com, I assume that is what focus you are looking for with members.

EricL -- You are completely right that, as a very general matter, my vision for the site is to stay focused on dividend growth investing. There are plenty of sites and forums out there about investing generally, and I started this up because I really felt like it was an under-served niche. My personal opinion is that this site would have less to offer if it tried to be a "jack of all trades" investing site. That said, I would be dumb to ignore the interests of the community here -- without the people there is no site to worry about in the first place! If it looks like folks really want a place to discuss non-DG stocks, we'll explore the idea.

(09-25-2013, 08:33 PM)Ok Red Wrote: Or we could go with Small cap DGR stocks... midcap DGR... large DGR.... small cap high yield... etc. Lots of ways to dice this stuff. But, if we have a good structure it will make things less confusing once the board gets busy. And it WILL get busy....

Thanks for the optimism, Ok Red! Things are already starting pick up a little, it seems. Like I said above, if the site really starts to generate a ton of members and threads and posts, we'll have to consider expanding the forum structure.

(09-26-2013, 11:44 AM)hendi_alex Wrote: I've been a member of Investor Village for several years and have also been a member of a gardening forum called Helpfulgarden.com. I.V. has struggled to survive, while helpfulgardener has thrived. One difference that I see is in the forum structure. This forum is arranged more like helpful gardener with limited boards. IMO that is helpful as posting volume is not diluted over an almost infinite number of boards that exists at I.V.

My suggestion is that you give a lot of thought to the main board categories, and never let them grow beyond 12-15 boards. Perhaps even reserve one an an archive board, where minimally active boards get placed if they don't make it as a stand alone board on your main page.

When I first set up the site I had come up with tons of different categories in a pretty complicated structure, but then read what a terrible idea that was. So I pared it down to just a handful of categories. I think that was good advice and seems consistent with your experience, hendi_alex. As the site grows we can expand to meet people's interests and needs. I think the "options" area is a good example of the right way to grow. Where a clear interest emerges that doesn't fit well in an existing category, we can try out having a new area.