Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spam!
Well, maybe we should take it as a compliment, or at least as some kind of measure of success, but there has been an uptick in the amount of spam registrations and posts here lately. I suspect we've landed on some kind of nefarious list somewhere.

I'll try to stay ahead of it as best I can, but sometimes it might take me a bit of time to do the deletions. Please bear with me and please help out by using the "report" button at the bottom right corner of each post when you see an obviously spammy post.

I'm going to try and lock things down a bit in the settings (prohibit links in posts until you've posted a certain number of times, ban IP addresses of repeat offenders, etc.). Cross your fingers!

Thanks.
(05-08-2014, 06:54 AM)Kerim Wrote: Well, maybe we should take it as a compliment, or at least as some kind of measure of success, but there has been an uptick in the amount of spam registrations and posts here lately. I suspect we've landed on some kind of nefarious list somewhere.

I'll try to stay ahead of it as best I can, but sometimes it might take me a bit of time to do the deletions. Please bear with me and please help out by using the "report" button at the bottom right corner of each post when you see an obviously spammy post.

I'm going to try and lock things down a bit in the settings (prohibit links in posts until you've posted a certain number of times, ban IP addresses of repeat offenders, etc.). Cross your fingers!

Thanks.
Kerim. Sorry to hear and see you have to deal with this type of stuff.
speaking for myself, take your time on fixing it.
Jim
They should at least have to register
They do have to do a manual registration. You should have seen it here before I got that in place! Confused
Thank you for fighting the good fight, Kerim!
Thanks everyone for flagging the spam posts as you spot them! Makes it much easier to deal with. And the good news is they seem to have slowed down quite a bit. Keep your fingers crossed that it stays that way!
Thanks for the hard work, Kerim.
Thanks for keeping this place clean its very much appreciated!
I agree, though I have yet to see any.

Thanks for all your work, LOVE the site.
I just reported three more spam posts. It is like playing wack a mole!
(12-05-2014, 03:01 PM)benjamen Wrote: I just reported three more spam posts. It is like playing wack a mole!

Yeah, that was weird! 12 spam posts from five different new users in about 15 minutes. I think I got 'em all. But makes me wonder if we just popped up on a list somewhere. Unfortunately, there are place where people trade ideas about good places to post their spam/backlinks. Maybe we just got mentioned somewhere. Or maybe it was all one person (I noticed some similarities in the email addresses).

In any case, I sure hope it was just an isolated incident and not the start of some new fun!

(And thanks yet again for reporting those posts -- it makes tracking them down and getting rid of them much easier!)
Healthcare08 just went on a spam spree.